ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking vertex?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norberto PinalTracking vertex?
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 12:43:06 pm

I'm kind of new to AE. Here's my problem:

I have an animation of the Earth as viewed from space, in which it rotates a bit. I managed to track a round shape to where Spain is and now I want some lines coming out of this shape to different parts of the globe. What I want to do is track just the first vertex of each line to the round shape position, so that the animation goes smoothly. Tried linking, but just links all the path.
Hope I made myself clear.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Tracking vertex?
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:52:44 pm

this site has a script that will 'connect' a mask vertex to a point:

when you run the script it will ask you to select a vertex and a 'point' and it will then create keyframes for the mask so the vertex will track the point. note, if you change the tracking point, you will need to run the script again to create new keyframe data.

if you 'lines' are fairly simple -- like just two points, where point 'a' tracks the point and point 'b' is stationary, then you might try using the beam effect to create your line rather than a mask. you can use a simple expression to link one point of the beam to position property of the tracking point -- just enable expressions for one beam point and drag the expression pickwhip to the position property of the tracking point. it may be easier than using the script.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Norberto PinalRe: Tracking vertex?
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:48:42 am

Thanks a lot Kevin!

Took me some time to get it right, but I did in the end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved