ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Disable Layer Aliasing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris ThomsenDisable Layer Aliasing
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:49:36 pm

Hello,

i have following problem, so maybe you can help me:

In my Composition (SD) is a PSD-Layer. I`d like to increase the Layers Size, but don`t want that this layer gets "blured".

I use transparency and i want that this layer always shows hard Pixels and hard edges.

Hope, you understand.

Is there an option to keep the layers hardness fixed, even when i "zoom" in?

Greetz Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:34:32 pm

[Chris Thomsen] "Is there an option to keep the layers hardness fixed, even when i "zoom" in? "

Sorry, no. This is why the Good Lord made Adobe illustrator. AE can keep the edges of vector files clean, but not bitmap files like Photoshop. And you can't put a bitmapped file into Illustrator and turn it into vector art: it has to be created as vector art from the very beginning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris ThomsenRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:15:46 pm

Ok, thank you for your comment.

Hope, you all understand my problem.

My problem is not that it is impossible to zoom into bitmaps without loss of quality.

I know the difference between "pixel-orientated" an "vectorized" files.

Greetz Chris

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:22:03 pm

[Chris Thomsen] "Hope, you all understand my problem.

My problem is not that it is impossible to zoom into bitmaps without loss of quality. "

Right: you want to keep the edges of the bitmapped files sharp. I recall that you wrote, " i want that this layer always shows hard Pixels and hard edges."

You can't do that with a bitmapped file in AE. You have to use a vector file for that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:32:40 pm

Alright.

Thank you very much. :)

Greetz Chris

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:26:58 am

I'm still not sure that I understand what you're asking for, but it may be that setting the layer to Draft mode will do what you're after. (See "Layer image quality".) My reading of the original question was that it was about preventing anti-aliasing. Sorry if I misread this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:26:25 am

YES!!

Sorry for this confusion. My english is not that best, but you understood me very well.

You solved my problem!

First it didn`t work.. because i wanted this effect only for one layer, i had to set the quality in the rendersettings in the exportdialog to "actual settings". ;)

Thanks so much!!

Greetz Chris

Return to posts index

Luke HarrisRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:42:02 am

Hey mate,

I've discovered an easy way to get bitmaps etc to not anti-alias, while still giving you the ability to render at best quality.

Open up Illustrator, drop a bitmap into it, save it as an Adobe Illustrator file.

Put that Adobe Illustrator file into an After Effects, enable continuous rasterising, and even though it's a bitmap, AE treats it like a vector!!

Hope that works as well for you as it did for me... Now I can get that awesome retro bitmap look and combine it with some lighting and 2.5D :)

Luke Harris
Motion Graphics Design
Sydney, Australia
http://www.lukeharris.biz

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:37:27 pm

[Luke Harris] "Open up Illustrator, drop a bitmap into it, save it as an Adobe Illustrator file. Put that Adobe Illustrator file into an After Effects, enable continuous rasterising, and even though it's a bitmap, AE treats it like a vector!! "

As far as I know, Illustrator does NOT do any magic transformations that turn bitmapped images into vector images.

As a test, get a VERY SMALL bitmapped image -- 120x120 or so -- in an Illustrator document, import the document into AE, and scale it up A LOT. If your assertion is correct, it should look just fine.

My money says it'll look lousy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Luke HarrisRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:46:49 pm

It does not "Magically turn it into a vector"

- When you scale up that small .ai file, it merely *treats* it like a vector file, i.e. does not try to anti-alias it. This is not a treatment which suddenly creates resolution where there is none, this is a treatment which when you scale up a bitmap will give you large, sharp squares for each bit as opposed to those terrible AE anti-aliased blurs.

This treatment carries on through to the render stage at full quality renders, very useful for making 8-bit animated characters, even in 2.5D with lights affecting the layers.

Just give it a go, my money has already been put on the table and I don't bluff.

Luke

Return to posts index

Ellis ElkinsRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 3:44:49 am

try these suggestions from Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

Jan VorkRe: Disable Layer Aliasing
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 12:45:15 pm

You can also make a 'hires lores' image by increasing the .psd's resolution by multiplying it with an integer (2x, 3x, 4x, 8x) without interpolation ('nearest neighbour'). In that way, AE threat it as hires, but you keep the lo-res look.

http://www.jaydude.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]