ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jitter parameter or Particle System?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Stancato
Jitter parameter or Particle System?
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:57:41 pm

I remember years ago in AE 5 or 6 I used the Jitter control to randomize the letters wildly then have them settle into their readable position.

I want to do the same thing in AE CS3 but can't remember the setup or find the controls.

One big difference is I have the type rendered is photoshop with a glossy effect. So maybe I have to do this another way. Perhaps a particle system in which each letter is assigned to be a particle?

I don't have the budget or inclination to mask each letter, make them separate layers and keyframe.

No 3rd Party Plugins.

How do I upload a pic on this forum? I'm having trouble previewing or uploading my jpg image to this forum. It says Image Uploaded but it doesn't appear in any preview, thumbnails, etc.... Maybe you can see it but I don't get the expected feedback from the forum interface.

Using Firefox 3.5.7. Any ideas?

http://i1.creativecow.net/u-upload.php#

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Jitter parameter or Particle System?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:32:48 pm

A lot of Photoshop layer styles are in After Effects so if that's how you created your glossiness you should be able to keep it editable text in AE.

Once you have editable text in AE, explore the joy of AE's Text Animation! It's been added since the last versions you've used. You'll love it. AE ships with tons of cool presets too.

Also, if you don't end up using the text animation, you wouldn't have to keyframe each Photoshop letter. You can use decaying wiggle expressions to get it to have random movement before settling.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Stancato
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:44:13 am

Thanks. Can you recommend a video tutorial that shows much of the new features and plugins that AE can do now?
An in-depth run through of how Graph Editor works
How to do expressions
What the presets do
What the third party plug-ins do
What the standard plug-ins do
Lynda.com is great with the searchable and book-markable transcripts. Any favorites on there?
Any one place with solid usability design achieved through minimal clicking around.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:12:07 pm

From the sound of things, you're asking for a video series that goes through everything about After Effects. Luckily, such a thing exists and it is fantastic. Total Training. (I haven't used them since AE version 5, but I've been told they're still just as good now, if not better.) It is the most in-depth video series I've ever seen for AE.

Of course, all the information for which you're searching is available in the AE manual and the online version often links to various video tutorials around the web. It wouldn't hurt to just read through that, checking out the links along the way.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Stancato
on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:02:27 pm

Total Training was awesome for those early versions. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]