ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best way to create a warped cloud of app icons

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Stancato
Best way to create a warped cloud of app icons
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:18:43 am

What's the best way to create a warped cloud of app icons circling around a figure then funneling into the a iphone or other hand held device? Please see sketch. Thanks.

Using CS3 Mac, no 3rd party plug-ins.

Also having trouble previewing or uploading my jpg image to this forum. It says Image Uploaded but it doesn't appear in any preview, thumbnails etc... nor does any code appear

Using Firefox 3.5.7. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Best way to create a warped cloud of app icons
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:34:41 am

Create an image sequence of your icons. Put that piece of footage in your comp. Use CC Particle World. My personal AE machine is tied up at the moment or I'd check on the specifics for you, but I think there's a way to set the particle image to be a random frame from your footage. (I know there is in Trapcode's Particular, but we're trying to avoid 3rd party stuff.)
Set your particles to be spiraling up and out of the device. Then take that animation, precomp it and time-reverse the precomp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:11:05 pm

[Michael Szalapski] " I think there's a way to set the particle image to be a random frame from your footage"

not quite... but you can select any of the 'textured' particle types for the particle, pick the icon precomp for the texture layer and set the texture time to 'current'.

then enable time remapping for the icon precomp and use an expression like this in time remapping to choose random frames:

random(inPoint, outPoint)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:19:51 pm

Ah, a man who knows something about expressions. I'm jealous. Or just plain lazy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:30:29 pm

Thanks Kevin! I knew there had to be a way.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Stancato
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:48:00 pm

Thanks very much to all. I will try these ideas out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]