ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

importing into final cut

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Stewartimporting into final cut
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:54:09 pm

hi,

i have a 720 x 480 comp (dv ntsc) in AE. when i import it into my final cut pro project (same specs as AE), the text looks rough. the animation quicktime (out of AE) however looks great. so its something with the import.

thoughts?

thanks,

jimmy

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: importing into final cut
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:32:06 pm

Are you judging by an output to a broadcast monitor or the preview screens inside of FCP?

Also, DV is a lossy codec that isn't great with graphics so a lossless Animation codec graphic rendered from AE will always look far better than the same graphic once it has been dropped down to DV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: importing into final cut
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:57:43 pm

[Jimmy Stewart] "i have a 720 x 480 comp (dv ntsc) in AE. when i import it into my final cut pro project (same specs as AE), the text looks rough. the animation quicktime (out of AE) however looks great"

I bet you're using this AE animation in a DV timeline. Welcome to the real world of DV and its God-awful color resolution. The DV codec treats your carefully-crafted graphics the way a baby treats a diaper.

The fix: when your project is all done, duplicate the FCP edit timeline, and change the codec to ProRes 422. You'll have to render everything, but hey--you're done. And your AE stuff will look fine once again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]