ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Canvas size in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily CarmichaelCanvas size in AE?
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:05:47 am

Hello!
I have a nested comp that's too small--you can see the edges of the comps instead of the wisps flowing fully offscreen. (See picture.)

I tried to make the nested comps bigger, but then everything was scaled up--much like "image size" in photoshop--and what I'm looking for is more like canvas size, to make the comp bigger but keep all the elements the same size.

PS: got a nice smoke writing effect using scatterize, blur and mesh warp

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Canvas size in AE?
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:48:04 am

Emily, don't scale the precomp, scale the layer(s) inside the precomp. Double click your precomp to gain access to the comp containing the layer(s) that make it up. Then scale it/them. I'm sure you probably know not to go past 100%. If you want you can lock the window for your primary comp first, so that you can see your results as you scale, or set up a two-window view.

If the layers in your precomp were all vector based imagery, you could scale the precomp with the Continuously Rasterize box ticked.

Return to posts index

Emily CarmichaelRe: Canvas size in AE?
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:26:06 am

Oh, you mean scale the layers in the precomp DOWN, so they don't hit the edges of the precomp anymore?

But right now the layers have the correct pixel dimensions, they just hit the edges of the precomp because the precomp is too small.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Canvas size in AE?
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:53:21 am

In your precomp go into Composition settings and change the size of the precomposition to the size of your main comp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Emily CarmichaelRe: Canvas size in AE?
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 10:59:03 pm

Somehow the smoke is STRETCHING when I do that....

Or I THINK it's stretching... It's hard to tell because it's so... smokey.

Thank you for the help though, I take it that IN GENERAL you can size up a comp without changing the pixel dimensions of the layers.

In this case I think I will just start again from the beginning!

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Canvas size in AE?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39:27 am

Cut the effect from the layer, resize it, then Paste the effect back in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]