ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 Trouble!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Bowen
After Effects CS4 Trouble!
on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:10:46 pm

Hello, I have had this programme on my Laptop for a few months now, and it has been working fine. I had no memory on the laptop so I got an external hard drive and put loads!! of things on there so i could have more memory for After Effects, but after I did that, after effects went very very slow!!!!

It is fast opening, adding things (effects, 3D...) but when I play it back in the Footage/Composition it takes forever to render just ONE frame.

Then it goes through about 3/4 frames then it takes forever again.

Please does anyone know anything I can do?
I re-installed it but still having problems.

I have an interview with college next week, and am trying to get some stuff done for it but i cant when it goes this slow. (I also put the Quality from High, to low but still does it.

If I don't reply on here please email me.

Skrapi@live.co.uk

Thanks everyone

Return to posts index

Andy Dykstra
Re: After Effects CS4 Trouble!
on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:03:32 pm

After Effects is a pretty resource intense program. You'll need at least a few gigs of RAM to really do anything. It sounds like you're a little confused because adding an external hard drive will only give you more space to store files, it won't make after effects run any faster. You can look into upgrading your RAM, but laptops are usually very limited in how much you can add.
Your easiest solution is going to be setting your comp settings to be showing half or less of the project. Directly under your composition there is a drop down that says "full" and can be set to half, third, or quarter. Lower settings will help after effects refresh faster for you, but you will see a low resolution version. Your final render will still be full quality.

http://www.ghostrender.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:15:25 pm

We can't help you if we don't know the exact version numbers of After Effects (9.0.0, 9.0.2?) and your operating system, how much RAM you have, et cetera.

In the meantime, here's a link to a post that addresses the most common performance problem that I see: "Performance tip: Don't starve your software of RAM". There are a bunch of other performance tips here: "Improve performance"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Rhys Bowen
on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:30:36 pm

Here is my laptop Spec:
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 6935
Motherboard Manufacturer: Acer
Motherboard Model: Aspire 6935

Here is it's performace:
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 3072 MB
Available Memory Slots: N.A.
Total Memory Slots: 2
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz Model 7, Stepping 10
CPU Speed: 1200 MHz

I am running Adobe After Effects CS4: Version 9.0

I have 2 slots, one with 2Gb and one with 1Gb, I'm thinking about replacing the 1GB with a 2GB.

Any suggestions? (?No harm in trying?)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:53:43 pm

Are you putting the source footage, graphics...on the external drive? That maybe slowing AE as it has to access the external drive to render the each frame. If that's the case move the footage to the internal drive and see if that speeds up the program.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Rhys Bowen
on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:24:38 pm

The videos are imported from my Internal Memory, My external just holds all my videos that i got off my HD Camcorder as they are over 200MB, so I keep them just incase I loose the ones I converted with Sony Vegas down to 56Mb and use them in After Effects.

I see what you are saying tho.

Also I don't have my External Hard Drive plugged in when I use AE.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Cuevas
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:01:42 pm

It is fast opening, adding things (effects, 3D...) but when I play it back in the Footage/Composition it takes forever to render just ONE frame.

Then it goes through about 3/4 frames then it takes forever again.

I keep reading this and I'm wondering are you trying to play what you are working on in AE. If so, yes it can take some time---and depending on the effects, footage, resolution, maybe a lot of time.. AE really isn't designed for much in playback. When I use it, I may RAM preview, 1 second to 5 seconds of an animation and I'm on a very powerful computer(designed from Adobes recommended specs built specifically for After Effects.

For playback and your interview, you need to render the files an .avi, .wmv or .mov on your harddrive and play from there and now AE.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Rhys Bowen
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:34:13 am

Thanks mate, I will do that. most probably in Avi.

Going to get an extra gig of RAM on my laptop and see if it helps if not it might speed up other things.

Return to posts index

Rhys Bowen
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:34:25 am

Thanks mate, I will do that. most probably in Avi.

Going to get an extra gig of RAM on my laptop and see if it helps if not it might speed up other things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]