ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

enable open GL

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dewan edwards
enable open GL
on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:01:43 am

Hi sorry for the basic question but I am not sure what is going on. I recently installed Quadro FX 380 to get a better open GL support. When I open AE and do to the display settings (I believe that is the one) Open GL is greyed out. It says that no supported hardware is found. Also in Avid I am told that my card is unsupported. Any ideas on what I am not setting right? Is there something in the Nvidia control panel that I need to adjust? Right now I am stomped on why my card is not being recognized for Open GL support.

system XP 32
CS3
Quadro FX 380
directx 9
display driver 6.14.11.8208

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: enable open GL
on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:11:31 pm

Here's a list of supported OpenGL cards:
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html

I don't see your card on this list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

dewan edwards
on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:44:45 pm

Hi, the card I have replaced or is the newer verison of the quadro 370. I updated the driver and I was able to select the open GL. I Should have thought of that in the fist place. I havent been able to do any work yet to see if it runs smoothly yet. I will let you know if anything negative comes up. thank you

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:40:52 pm

Don't know if it's still Dave LaRonde's stock answer, but from everything I've heard, OpenGL doesn't work in AE, regardless of your card.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:59:44 pm

Dave overstates this issue.

I agree with Dave that you should never use OpenGL to render for final output.

I agree with Dave that you should probably not leave OpenGL rendering always on for previews.

_But_, the OpenGL - Interactive setting actually works quite nicely for making rendering faster during interactions---i.e., when you're dragging things around. The fidelity is poor, but that's OK when you're in the middle of dragging something across the screen; and the OpenGL renderer turns off as soon as you let go of the mouse.

Also, the GPU accelerates some effects behind the scenes.

So, while I agree with Dave and many others in saying that it's not worth spending a lot of money to get a top-notch graphics card for After Effects, I have to point out that there are some values in having at least a reasonable stock GPU with OpenGL features so that you can get these moderate-sized benefits.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

dewan edwards
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:12:59 am

Ok thanks, I am removing this card anyway, I have been having some problems since I installed it. I researched some cards that my system suppose to support and that others are having succes with. thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]