ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

color settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alisa Placascolor settings
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:47:04 am

I'm running AE and Photoshop CS4 on a quad-core intel xeon mac.

I have AE project settings with the Color settings at HDTV (Rec. 709) 16-235. I also have Photoshop set with the same color setting.
This is per client request.

Why does my image look different in Photoshop and After Effects?
I am looking at it in a window in Photoshop and also in a comp window in After Effects, both on the SAME monitor at once, side by side. The levels are darker in the Photoshop window than in the AE window.
Why is this?

To make matters worse, I exported a lossless frame from AE and opened it in Quicktime on the same monitor and that looks even MORE washed out than the AE file did.

I exported a Tiff frame and opened that in Photoshop on the same monitor. It looks the same as the AE comp window (lighter in levels than the original photoshop file).

Most of the AE users that I know are much more skilled than I am. However, none of them ever seem to have any answers when it comes to anything regarding color prefs.
Any good web pages or blogs out there that break it down easily?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: color settings
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:57:12 am

There's an overview of color management features here: "Color management and color profiles"

This paper does a good job of walking you step by step through color management with After Effects and Photoshop: "Color management workflow in After Effects CS4"

If you're not using color management, then you're rolling the dice wit your colors.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Alisa PlacasRe: color settings
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:38:25 pm

The white paper thing was great. Just what I was looking for.
Thanks so much!

I also figured out what I was doing wrong. I had worked on the images in Photoshop BEFORE I'd changed my color settings to HDTV. I had saved them with no embedded color profile. I was under the impression that they would change to the HDTV color profile when I reopened them in Photoshop with the new working color space. I didn't realize they were NOT converting since they had no embedded color profile and that I had to resave them WITH the HDTV color profile embedded. Now in the Photoshop window and the AE Comp window, the image looks the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved