ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

type that flow like water

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david chomowicztype that flow like water
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:55:13 pm

anyone have a tip on how to animate type to look as though it is flowing like water without key framing every character?

i need to do titles for a film and want the titles to look as though they are freely flowing in a river or stream, form the title, hold, deconstruct, and then continue to flow.

repeat for the next title slightly different though so the animation looks organic, and not so predictable

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: type that flow like water
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 7:40:48 pm

Do you want the type to look like it's in water, or to look like it is water? I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

If you're asking what I think you're asking, I have a couple of suggestions:
Path text. Make some nice wavy paths and animate your text along it.
You would probably want to animate the text randomly off of its baseline using text animators.
There's actually a whole section of AE's help dedicated to animating text, you might want to look into it. Basically you want to use text animator or two.

There are also a large number of text animation presets! List here and a gallery of some of them here.

It wouldn't hurt to also check out this tutorial here on dropping a logo into some water (some of these techniques might come in handy for you.)

Also, this super-awesome customized google search would be a great place to poke around.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved