ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Fills up my disk space?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle GrayAE Fills up my disk space?
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:12:44 pm

I know this is most likely an amateur question and its rather embarrassing that I do not know this. But when I use After Effect for anything labour intensive such as rendering a large comp or such, it fills up my disk space on my internal hard drive. I always get the error message from my finder saying "Disk Space is almost full"

I already checked my preferences and I have no folder selected for auto-save, no folder selected for disk cache.......

Basically my question is is there a default folder somewhere where AE sends some sort of cache that could be filling up my disk space? Even when I have not selected folder?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Fills up my disk space?
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 9:50:27 pm

There's a media cache that stores some files that speed up use of some imported files.

But you say that this is when you're rendering (I assume for final export, not for previews). Well, those output files can take up a lot of space.

from "Storage requirements for output files"
"[O]ne second of uncompressed standard-definition 8-bpc video requires approximately 40 megabytes (MB). A feature-length movie at that data rate would require more than 200 GB to store. Even with DV compression, which reduces file size to 3.6 MB per second of video, this storage requirement translates to more than 20 GB for a typical feature-length movie. It is not unusual for a feature-film project—with its higher color bit depth and greater frame size—to require terabytes of storage for footage and rendered output movies."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Fills up my disk space?
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 10:35:41 pm

I don't know if this is covered in the link Todd provided, but is very, Very, EXTREMELY wise to have the operating system and applications on one drive, an user files on a different drive.

AE is an absolute RAM hog -- 16 GB ain't nothin' in AE-Land -- and when you render out the high-quality files you should be rendering, it can be a bit of a storage hog, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken SweckardRe: AE Fills up my disk space?
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:37:41 pm

Thank you so much ! I have a terrabyte drive but my main system drive that is only 250 gig was getting hammered when using ae cs 6 your answers were my solution !

Return to posts index

ahssan moshrefRe: AE Fills up my disk space?
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 6:08:25 pm

I am having a similar problem.
I have After Effects CS6. I am using Windows 7. I notice that my C drive is filling up every time I render video on Premier or After Effects. I end up with less and less space. I sometimes put output files on my desktop and delete them afterwards. Most of the times my usage files are on a external drive. This happens only on my work computer. I can't figure out nor locate the files. Like the folder property will show files size of over 50 GB but when I open the folder there is nothing. No Hidden files.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: AE Fills up my disk space?
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 6:56:45 am

Preferences - Media & Disk Cache. Empty your cache and relocate it to a drive that has space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved