ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask doesn't work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam SabourinMask doesn't work
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:53:42 am

I just started learning After Effects and have added a mask using the pen tool, but when I finish drawing the path nothing happens. I want everything outside the path to dissapear. The mode is set to add, below is a screenshot to illustrate. Please help, I'm spending way too much time on this.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Mask doesn't work
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 11:36:37 am

You're using Key Correct (Denoiser, Deartifactor), I see. Does your mask work when you turn off or remove these effects? I don't have Key Correct, so I can't try this myself, but it may be that one of these effects is interfering with your mask working as you intend.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Adam SabourinRe: Mask doesn't work
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:05:58 pm

Thanks, when i turn off Denoiser the mask works. I'm still having problems though, it seems no matter what I do the video comes out pixely around my body. Anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mask doesn't work
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 2:42:42 pm

Is this DV or HDV footage?

Here's a post on using Keylight to get a better key that may, or may not, help.
This tutorial (also using keylight) explains how to get a better key, and explains (a tiny bit) why DV is terrible for keying.
Here's something that explains it all in a bit more depth (har!).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam SabourinRe: Mask doesn't work
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:00:09 pm

This is DV footage. Thanks for the tutorials, I didn't know about Keylight, I'll try it and post what happens.

Return to posts index

Bill KellyRe: Mask doesn't work
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:43:30 pm

If you still want to use the denoiser, turn it back on, then precompose your green screen layer. Now draw your mask on the precomposed layer and it should work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved