ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Big pixels but not Mosaic

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan HillBig pixels but not Mosaic
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:39:04 pm

So I'm looking for a way to turn an image into big chunky pixels, but I don't think Mosaic gives me enough control for what I want to do.

The controls for Mosaic let you specify how many squares to divide the image into, but that must be an even number of divisions.

What I want to do is to have a series, one where the pixels are normal, one where they are 2x2, one where they are 4x4, then 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, etc.

But if I try doing that with Mosaic on 1280x720 footage, then I'm dividing it in half:
1280x720 640x360 320x180 160x90 80x45 40x22.5 20x11.25 10x5.625

So it works for the first little while, while the numbers are even, but if I try to put 22.5 into the Mosaic filter, it rounds off to 23 and then the pixels don't exactly line up any more.

Is there another way to get the same effect but with more control over how large the pixels are and where they line up?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Big pixels but not Mosaic
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:40:23 pm

Your idea is great, but sadly, I don't know of ANY TV picture whose vertical & horizontal dimensions are in handy powers of two. So you're kind of stuck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan HillRe: Big pixels but not Mosaic
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 11:56:04 pm

I'd have to cut short the one row of pixels.

If plan everything out, I might be able to create specially-sized compositions.

Lemme think. For the 40x22.5 example, I pad the bottom with 16 extra pixels and make a composition that's 1280x736 and then divide it into 40x23 using the mosaic filter. And so the bottom row doesn't end up darker or translucent, I have to double-up the footage so the bottom 16 pixels are repeated twice.

That should work, it'll just take time to set up each special size properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved