ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering with transparent background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah MortonRendering with transparent background
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:54:27 am

I've created titles in AE CS4, and I can't figure out how to render the comp without the black background. I need the background to be transparent, or rather, no background at all. In the past I've been able to change the Alpha or Item Properties in FCP, but I can't seem to make it work correctly now. Answers are very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering with transparent background
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 2:27:44 am

Render and export using a codec that can encode an alpha channel. In the Output Module Settings dialog box, make sure that Channels is set to RGB+Alpha. (When you see Millions Of Colors+ in the format options for some codecs, the plus sign indicates that an alpha channel is included.)

See this section about output module settings and this section about alpha channels.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Sarah MortonRe: Rendering with transparent background
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:15:40 am

Thanks so much! It worked perfectly!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering with transparent background
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:07:53 pm

... and if you want another option, you can render to an image sequence, like TIFF, Targa, and PNG sequences. They give you lossless image quality, they preserve transparency, and if your AE render is halted for any reason, you can pick up the render at the last image in the sequence.

I keep forgetting about image sequences. You'd think I'd learn.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vincent StraderRe: Rendering with transparent background
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:05:32 am

I tired that and got 900 images. WOW! Had to delete them all. I need a self contained movie with a transparent background. Gonna have to try the other option :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved