ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering/Compression Question. Please, help!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff PriceRendering/Compression Question. Please, help!
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:56:08 pm

I just recently started using AfterEffects and have made a picture slideshow which includes some text animations, blurring effects, and audio throughout. Although I figured the file would be somewhat big (it contains about 340 high quality pictures and is about 21 minutes long), when I rendered the video in a recommended video format (Quicktime Animation at best quality,full resolution, lossless), the file ended up being 22.6 GB.

I would like to be able to burn this file onto a DVD which can only hold 4.7 GB. Are there any other types of compression that I can render this project as that won't sacrifice so much quality as to look crappy on a fairly big TV, while also being readable on a DVD player as opposed to just a computer drive?

Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated. This is my first time ever making any type of movie on a computer.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Rendering/Compression Question. Please, help!
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:48:26 pm

How about standard mpeg2 compression for DVD. It's pretty much the standard. Don't do it from AE, though. Take your uncompressed render from AE into a dedicated compressor such as Adobe Media Encoder or Apple Compressor. There are presets in those for controlling the amount of compression based on the duration of your file.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering/Compression Question. Please, help!
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:52:49 pm

... and considering this thing is only 20 minutes long or so, you can get away with the highest-quality compression there is. High bitrate.... low compression... nice-looking video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff PriceRe: Rendering/Compression Question. Please, help!
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 1:43:29 pm

Thank you! I was able to get the file down to a reasonable size with still the best quality.

I rendered the file to a .mov format, but want to burn to a DVD so that a DVD player or Xbox 360 can play it. Using a trial version of Squeeze6, I was able to convert to an NTSC-DVD format which did indeed work on my Xbox, but because it's a demo, there's a watermark logo in the background throughout the show.

I tried converting to other MPEG-2 formats with two different programs, but one was only recognized as a mixed media disc by my xbox and the other wasn't recognized at all.

After burning all three, I noticed that the Squeeze6 produced a file with a .m2v file name, while the other two were different.

Do you know of any freeware that can convert to a .m2v file format or another similar format which can play on a DVD player/Xbox 360? For some reason, it's really hard for me to find out info about .m2v files....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering/Compression Question. Please, help!
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:13:39 pm

[Jeff Price] "Do you know of any freeware that can convert to a .m2v file format or another similar format which can play on a DVD player/Xbox 360? For some reason, it's really hard for me to find out info about .m2v files...."

Sorry, no. When you get good compression software, you don't ever think about the freebie stuff again.

An m2v file is video encoded in mpeg2 that does NOT have embedded (aka multiplexed or "muxed") audio, which is different from a video file with an audio track attached. Muxed audio is actually contained in the video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]