ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering proper progressive output with DV codec

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Matthews
Rendering proper progressive output with DV codec
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:11:46 pm

Hi, I'm running AE CS4 on Windows XP, and have to admit I am baffled on a very simple problem.

All I am trying to do is render progressive (no field order) DV footage from AE. However, no matter what I do (specify the field order as No Field Order in the render queue, go to Interpret Footage -> Main and make sure Specify Fields is Off) my rendered footage is showing up as interlaced in Sony Vegas 8 Pro when imported. The original video shows up correctly, as progressive.

The source footage in AE is all progressive, so there is no reason (as far as I know) for AE to assume the output should be interlaced. I've read that it might treat all DV renders as interlaced, but then why give the option to output progressive?

Now I could render uncompressed and then convert to the proper format later, but I am dealing with hours of rendered footage on an old machine, and would really like to avoid this if possible.

I have tried reading whatever I can find online, and finally come here, knowing how helpful this place has been for me. So I hope this question isn't TOO simple/obvious, and someone can give me any answer. Thanks a lot!

Roger

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Rendering proper progressive output with DV codec
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:44:44 pm

by default, when dv footage is imported into ae, ae will probably assume that it is interlaced.

by choosing file>interpret footage>main and setting 'separate fields' option to off, you will tell ae not to deinterlace the footage (which it sounds like you have done already).

when you render (composition>add to render queue), by default ae should render as progressive. but you can check the render settings to make sure that 'field render' is set to off (again it sounds like you have done that too).

however, what type of dv is vegas looking for natively...? from ae's render queue you are most likely rendering and .mov with dv compression. does vegas take work with .mov natively, or is vegas converting/transcoding it to another container...? maybe .mxf or .dv? if that is happening then it maybe it's vegas that is interlacing the footage.

can you open the rendered dv file back in after effects or quicktime? double check that there is interlacing before the file is brought into vegas.

another option: use file>export>dv stream to create the dv file. set those settings to progressive and see how that imports into vegas. that file will be a .dv file and may work better with vegas (i don't know, i've never used vegas, i'm just trying to think of other options).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roger Matthews
Re: Rendering proper progressive output with DV codec
on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:29:54 pm

Hi Kevin, thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm rendering using the .avi container, which is what Vegas accepts natively (and the format the rest of the footage for the project is in).

I also forgot to mention that when importing the RENDERED footage (created by After Effects) back into AE, it is still interpreted as interlaced.

I'm now trying that file->export->dv stream option, but AE warns me that I should use the render queue instead, so we'll see what happens. Not sure if Vegas accepts .dv natively, but I guess we'll find out.

However, my money is on something going on in After Effects that I'm just missing. I'll post if I can come up with anything else. Thanks again for responding so fast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]