ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2 different error messages then complete melt down

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Turner2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:06:46 pm

I have been trying to export a comp that I have already exported in the past with no problems. Now when I try to export I keep on getting error messages and even my whole computer would crash.

I would get one of two error messages
1. Keylight out of memory (4)
2. Unable to allocate space for 1984 X 144 image buffer.

I tried increasing the ram distribution and enabled disk cache. This error still occurs. I got one good export today then it started to give me the error messages again then the whole Mac went gray and told me I had to manually shut off the computer.

I am using CS4 and just ran software updates over a week ago. The computer is Mac OSX 10.6.2

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:23:04 pm

Hmmmm..... you're using Keylight, so I'll guess you've got green screen video. No big stretch there...

You did the update, to AE 9.0.2, which is very good indeed, but I can think of a few very common things to tweak on your end.
  • Turn off Open GL when rendering. It's basically useless, and often harmful.
  • If you don't have AT LEAST 6 GB RAM, turn off multiprocessing ("Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously"). It's in Preferences. Even then, you could only use 2 cores and give them 2.5 GB/core at most with 6 gigs. Unless you have oodles of RAM, you don't pick up much speed using multiprocessing.
  • Double-check your footage: it could VERY WELL be the culprit. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Oh, and one last thing: don't export! Render using AE's Render Queue!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:26:42 pm

Why are you exporting? You should be rendering.

Return to posts index

Laurie TurnerRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:52:02 pm

I had the Open GL off and the mulitprocessing. I don't believe the footage is one of the negative ones you listed. It's from FCP 7 uncompressed 8-bit Component Y'CbCr. I have use this type of footage for a good year now without this issue.

I may not have AE version 9.0.2? when I open it it says version 9. I just ran software updates and adobe updates and they both say it's up to date.

Thanks Dave for your suggestion. It was helpful and I printed it out to keep on hand. Do you have any other thoughts?

Joey, I also ways had trouble going to File > Export. Using the render queue was always reliable until now. most people I find have issues with File> Export. Thank you for the question though

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:56:10 pm

Laurie, the reason I asked was that you used the term Export.
It makes it much easier for us to diagnose a problem when the correct terminology is used.
As you know, rendering and exporting are two completely different things in AE.

Return to posts index

Laurie TurnerRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:02:11 pm

you're right Joey, my appologizes. I am using the rendering queue

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:01:08 pm

I bet if you look under "About After Effects" when you have the application open, it will tell you precisely which version you have. And if it isn't 9.0.2 or greater, you need to get it.

If you don't know for a FACT that you have footage that AE doesn't like, you can check by highlighting the footage in the project window, and reading the information AE displays about it at the top of the project window.

I'm not exactly sure where you turn off Open GL for rendering because I never turned it on! You turn it off in two different places, and I know you turn it off for PREVIEWING in Preferences. Like you, I'd have to look it up in AE Help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/index.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 2 different error messages then complete melt down
by on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:31:29 pm

Here are some links that are relevant to this conversation:

information about the 9.0.2 update

rendering (or not) with OpenGL (Instructions for enabling and disabling OpenGL rendering are toward the bottom.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]