ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

showing only through lens flare

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike sternshowing only through lens flare
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:10:56 pm

Hey, I made a lens flare using "knoll light factory", and i'm trying to make an effect in which Im putting my lens flare behind a picture (in 3D ofcourse), and i want to see the lens flare itself, and only the parts of the picture which are exactly in front of the lens flare.
I figured i should use a specific blending mode on the picture, but the only one that has a similar result is "silhouette luma", but it shows the picture in black and white and not in color.

What do i do?
Thnx ahead

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: showing only through lens flare
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:50:23 pm

[Mike stern] "...I'm putting my lens flare behind a picture..."

...and does this picture contain areas of transparency so the flare shows through the desired parts? If not, it's time to start making masks to cut out the parts of the picture you don't want. Or get a picture that contains transparency already -- that'll work, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike sternRe: showing only through lens flare
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:14:47 pm

Well, when i lower the opacity of the picture, i can indeed see the lens flare behind it, although i still see parts of the picture which are'nt in front of the lens flare, but i want to see only the ones in front of it..
Masks will not be any good unless i want to work really hard, because if i want to animate the flare so it moves behind the pictures, i'd have to manually key frame the masks..

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:24:26 pm

[Mike stern] "Masks will not be any good unless i want to work really hard"

Oh, well, boo-hoo. That's what you need to do. There's no magic wand for this. Get crackin', slacker!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:34:52 pm

In order to offer a speedy reply, here's a repost. Apparently, I used an inappropriate word -- not offensive, but I dare not repeat in for fear of another embargoed post -- in my previous response.

[Mike stern] "..Masks will not be any good unless i want to work really hard..."

Oh, you poor little guy! Boo, hoo, hoo! You brought tears to my eyes!

That's how you create transparency! Who said this stuff would be easy, anyway? Since there is no magic wand for this kind of thing, get out your mask tool and get busy, slacker!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeAddendum
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:10:18 pm

I should probably add this bit of AE 101 trivia:
when you make masks on a layer -- a picture, for instance -- the masks STAY WITH THE LAYER.

So it's not as bad as you thought. However, you still have to cut the masks, which will take as long as your masking skill and speed permit you to work.

If you're reluctant to do even that, then give up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: showing only through lens flare
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:09:13 pm

If you duplicate your lens flare layer and use it as a Luma Matte for the picture layer does that do what you want?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mike sternRe: showing only through lens flare
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 10:55:31 pm

Actually it does! I just didn't think about duplicating the lens flare layer!
THANKS!

Mr. LaRonde, i guess sometimes slackers are just people who are not yet to find the easy solution.. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]