ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apply texture to text layer without changing color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan MoyerApply texture to text layer without changing color
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:21:53 am

I have a text layer with the shatter effect on it to make it "3D". I have a picture of some bluish-gray concrete that I like the texture on. I would like to overlay the texture such that it changes the texture of the text, but not the color.

However when I overlay the texture it changes the text to the bluish gray color of the concrete. Is there a way to just get the texture from it without the color?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Apply texture to text layer without changing color
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:39:35 am

Blend the layers together with a blending mode. You can cycle through the blending modes to see which one gives you the look that you like. To cycle forward and back through blending modes, press - and = on the main keyboard.

See "Work with blending modes".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ryan MoyerRe: Apply texture to text layer without changing color
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:38:31 am

If I use the blending modes, how do I get the texture to only apply to the text and not show up on the rest of the background?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:48:49 am

Nevermind, I figured it out.

I just put the texture layer above the text layer, hid the texture layer, and then selected luma matte for my the track matte on my text layer.

However when I move it around the texture background stays static, giving the impression of the texture on the text changing. Is there a way to make the texture "stick" to the text without going back and making a whole new comp out of it (can't just convert this one to a new comp because it has lots of other stuff in it)?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Apply texture to text layer without changing color
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:34:06 am

Use Tint, Hue/Saturation, Channel Mixer (with the checkbox), or whatever your favorite method is, to turn your texture black and white.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:39:00 am

That still changed the color to the same (grayscale) color of the texture.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:48:56 am

Nevermind, I figured it out.

I just put the texture layer above the text layer, hid the texture layer, and then selected luma matte for my the track matte on my text layer.

However when I move it around the texture background stays static, giving the impression of the texture on the text changing. Is there a way to make the texture "stick" to the text without going back and making a whole new comp out of it (can't just convert this one to a new comp because it has lots of other stuff in it)?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]