ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering to DV Stream (.dv)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel PotthastRendering to DV Stream (.dv)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:31:56 pm

While I can easily use After Effects to export a dv25 stream from the file-->export menu, there is no obvious way to do that from the render queue. Our system requires files with the .dv extension to air properly. Is there something I am missing? Or... is there a commercial codec that will allow this .dv export from the render queue? Thanks!

Daniel Potthast
SNN News 6

Daniel Potthast
Motion Graphics, Editing, 3D Animation

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering to DV Stream (.dv)
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:46:59 pm

This is one of the few cases in which using the File > Export menu command is not a bad idea.

from "Rendering and exporting overview":

"You can also use commands in the File > Export menu to encode movies into some formats (such as raw DV streams) using QuickTime components."

If you want to wrap the DV data in a QuickTime (MOV) container, then you can go through the render queue; you just choose the corresponding DV type from the Format menu after clicking Format Options in the Output Module Settings dialof box.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rendering to DV Stream (.dv)
by on Jan 13, 2010 at 4:23:46 pm

i've worked with several broadcast boxes that take dv streams and the file>export>dv stream method is the only way to get it straight from ae. actually, it's the only way to go to get it from many apps, avid and media100 (and probably fcp) included. also, the file>export method is better than most other workflows to create files for similar devices, since most other devices will want mpeg-2 or h.264 compression, which then requires a two step process of rendering from ae and compressing with a separate compression utility.

export>dv stream works quite well, but there are a few hang-ups... one being there is no 'export' queue, so you need to manually export each comp rather than being able to throw them into a queue, hit render and walk away.

also you can't render a separate matte and fill in one render pass, so you'll need to export the matte (key) and fill separately. it's easy to create a matte/key, set the background color for the comp to black. then, add a white solid at the top of your comp and, from the modes panel for that solid, check the "T" check box, and that layer take on the transparency from the layers below, leaving you a black and white matte ready to export.

if the 'fill' component need to be premultiplied (straight), add an adjustment layer to the top of the comp and add the set matte effect. set the 'use for matte' to 'full' and uncheck the 'composite matte with original' option.

also, in my experience, the audio always needs to be set to 48kHz.

note that some devices can convert .mov to native formats... i've used older sd deko 1000s & 3000s that we were told only took dv streams, but if quicktime was installed on them they would read a .mov (lossless animation with alpha) and convert it to a .mxf (mpeg-2 compression) which was better quality than the dv stream (dv25) and a smoother workflow -- although we did occasionally have audio issues with the .mov conversion for some reason.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Daniel PotthastRe: Rendering to DV Stream (.dv)
by on Jan 14, 2010 at 1:32:21 am

Thanks guys,
It is the lack of the queue that is really getting me down. Bummer. Render, wait, render, wait. For the alpha mattes I made a handy script that dupes a comp and inserts a channel filter to extract the alpha as a black and white image.

Thanks for the info, now I can stop hunting for a single step solution and get back to waiting on that next export...

Daniel Potthast
Motion Graphics, Editing, 3D Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved