ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Video Quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ramon MontesVideo Quality
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:42:26 pm

I have two questions:

What I use: PC Laptop and Adobe After Effects
Since I don't have a mac, I use Pinnacle Studio 12 to download the video from my camera to my laptop.

1. I usually choose AVI when I download the video from Pinnacle Studio because the quality is better than MOV. Is there a reason this is happening? Everyone tells me MOV is better.

2. After I'm done making my edits using After Effects, I download the film in AVI format (Same reason as above) but the quality is bad. However, when I upload the file into Youtube the quality of the film improves dramatically. What am I doing wrong? Why is the quality better in Youtube and not in the original file?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Video Quality
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:08:54 pm

One piece of information that you'll need for making sense of this:

QuickTime (MOV) and Video for Windows (AVI) are container formats. They don't specify how video data is compressed and encoded. Within each container, you can encode audio and video data using various codecs.

So, you need to pay attention to what codecs you're using. You can change codecs in the output module settings. For many formats, you choose the codec by clicking the Format Options button in the Output Module Settings dialog box.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved