ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Make regular footage 16:9

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamid Rohi-BilverdyMake regular footage 16:9
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:01:14 pm

If I import a regular footage from my phone or DV camera, how can I make the footage 16:9,in after effect so I get the black bars in top and bottom?

Or is this easyier in premier and how so?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Make regular footage 16:9
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:49:52 pm

In After Effects, just drag the 4:3 footage into a composition that has the dimensions that you want and use the Fit To Comp Height command to scale the layer to match the vertical dimension of the 16:9 composition. This will leave "bars" on the left and right side.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Hamid Rohi-BilverdyRe: Make regular footage 16:9
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:51:40 am

Thanks for reply. When you say this will leave "bars" on the left and right side? How come when I want the bars on the top and bottom, just like a widescreen movie.

I have not testet this yet, will do it later today.

Regards H

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Make regular footage 16:9
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:21:13 pm

There are several ways to do this. I will list a couple.

1. In your original composition create a black solid. Mask out a bar shape. Put it at the top. Duplicate it. Put the duplicate at the bottom. (you can also create a Title in Premiere and create black rectangles like this.)

2. Drop your 4:3 footage into a 16:9 comp as Todd suggested, but instead of matching it vertically, scale it so it fills it horizontally. You won't have black bars showing, but you will have proper anamorphic 16:9 like Hollywood DVD's. That way you will get black bars when you play it on an old 4:3 TV, but when you show it on a 16:9 TV it will fill the screen rather than having black on the sides AND top and bottom.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved