ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating A Crowd

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey NationCreating A Crowd
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:10:47 pm

I'm using AFX CS3 and brand spankin' new to this.

The elements: I've got 7 people (there will be more later) that I've successfully rotoscoped and created an alpha channel around them with the intention of creating a crowd in tiered rows from scratch. (I'm quite surprised how well each character turned out!) I've been trying to figure out what the next step is. I think that I want to create a square or card for each character so I can move them around and place them much easier but I'm stuck.

I know I need each card to retain the properties they currently have so the characters can overlap each other, etc. If I render these characters they just become huge blocks again. Is there a way to render each character and preserve the mask properties? I'm hoping to create rows that I can move around, duplicate and place much easier than individual cards.

Is this line of thought correct? If so, where do I begin?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating A Crowd
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:15:53 pm

This is going to get a whole lot easier if you can pull good chroma keys and just forget about those squares. Put everybody over the same background, or a background you can slice up to creat depth.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mickey NationRe: Creating A Crowd
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:42:16 pm

Then I guess rotoscoping these entire characters wasn't enough to isolate them. Obviously the easiest way is the best way to go. So, please, how do I pull a good chroma key, pick these guys up, set them them down into a black background as it's supposed to be darkness.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating A Crowd
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:38:34 pm

Wait, what do you mean by creating a card?
If you mean you just want the person to be their own footage piece, then in the Render Queue settings make sure you're rending RGB+A. Many formats will let you do this. Quicktime or a Targa Sequence would be good.
But you don't even need to render them out first you could put each person in their own composition and place those comps in your main comp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved