ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Match camera moves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan SmithMatch camera moves
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:34:59 pm

I have AFX CS4. I have a video animation that i have imported. It is a quicktime movie. I do not have the original AFX file. The camera moves through the video along a path. I am wanting to place that video in a new comp, add a new camera and have the camera "recreate" the moves so that I can add some new elements that will move past the camera as it passes by. Any direction?

Alan Smith

Check out my blog -

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Match camera moves
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:04:31 pm

This is going to be a very, VERY tough chore.

You can't do it with AE straight out of the box. You absolutely need 3D matchmove software like Syntheyes -- I think there's a tryout version. But even then, without knowing the exact nature of what's in the picture, it could still be a crap shoot.

Even if you DO get it to work, you must understand that any elements you add will NOT be in the same 3D space as the elements in original footage. The new stuff will be on top of the old. You can put a band-aid on that fact with rotoscoping, but it will be painstaking and time-consuming... and if the original elements have highly-feathered or animated, irregular edges, darned near impossible.

You'd probably be better off re-creating the project from scratch. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved