ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Diffrence between After Effects and Premier?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Ferron
Diffrence between After Effects and Premier?
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:12:25 pm

What is the primary difference between Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premier CS3/4? When would I use one over the other?

I am currently a Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 user, which product is closer to Sony Vegas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Diffrence between After Effects and Premiere?
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:08:08 pm

Premiere is like Vegas without the plethora of special effects bells & whistles.

After Effects is like Super-Duper-Vegas on steroids, blowing Vegas out of the water in terms of effects and compositing... but with no editing capabilities. Well, with no editing capabilities that you'd actually want to USE.

Kapiche?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Edward Ferron
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39:51 pm

Thanks but what do you mean no editing capabilities?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:14:04 pm

You know how easy it is to do insert and overwrite-style edits, or add transitions, or do three-point editing -- all on the same layer -- in Vegas? Those capabilities don't even exist in AE. That's what Premiere is for.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Edward Ferron
on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:59:30 pm

So I like you description, it sounds like Vegas is the best in-between utility, and given the fact I have developed a lot of expertise on Vegas over the past 5 years, I am not sure I really need to invest into AE and Premier. hmmm!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Difference between After Effects and Premiere
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:17:14 pm

Asking the difference between After Effects and Premiere is like asking the difference between Word and Excel. Word is for word processing and Excel is for spreadsheets. Sure, you can write a letter in Excel and you can create tables and cells in Word to look like a spreadsheet, but why would you want to? They're very different products intended for very different uses.

Same thing with Premiere and After Effects.

Dave said it right. You edit video and audio in Premiere. You do compositing and motion graphics in AE.

There are a bunch of effects in Premiere that can do some compositing and you can do quite a bit as far as motion graphics go, but it's nothing like what you can do in AE.

Another way to look at it is AE is for animating and special effects while Premiere is for cutting.

At my job we usually do the editing in Premiere and then I bring the edited project into After Effects to do my magic on it.
Although, sometimes I create graphics in AE and give them to another editor to put into Premiere later.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Edward Ferron
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:44:47 pm

Thanks for both post this was/is very helpful in combination.

So I do a number of things
1) Create our church annoucements, which is primarily text, background graphics from digital juice (mostly), a voice over with a sound track behind it. This sounds perfect for AE.

2) We also film our church service and will need to edit it for cable access tv in the near future. It sounds like I should use Premier to import and edit the video and I could do some compositing in Premier but if I wanted to get really fancy pull the video into AE.

Is this the correct way to think about the workflow and tools?

Note we are a PC shop not a MAC shop so Final Cut Pro is off the table.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:26:04 pm

[Edward Ferron] "1) Create our church annoucements, which is primarily text, background graphics from digital juice (mostly), a voice over with a sound track behind it. This sounds perfect for AE. "

That is true if -- and ONLY if -- you do not used compressed audio. No mp3's or ac3's allowed!

And if Digital Juice gives you an option for those backgrounds, go for the high-quality stuff. No heavy compression! No Mpegs of any kind, no h.264's, mp4's or any of that garbage! You'll pay dearly in the end if you do!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

justin dalisay
on May 18, 2010 at 5:32:22 pm

so after differentiating the adobe premiere and AE, how is it different from final cut pro? is this an all in one package for editing video and dedicated special effects?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2010 at 5:52:55 pm

[justin dalisay] "...is this an all in one package for editing video and dedicated special effects?"

NOTHING OF THE SORT exists in the world of desktop and laptop applications. Zip. Zero.

Autodesk makes a few applications that can do what you seek. The hardware starts at about $125,000, and you lease the software -- you can't buy it -- for $15,000 a year.

Still interested in that all-in-one package?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

justin dalisay
on May 20, 2010 at 8:24:14 am

nope not really interested,, but thank you sir

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 18, 2010 at 11:26:27 pm

The Adobe Suite is a good all-around package. Final Cut and Premiere are very, very similar. Think of Final Cut as Apple's version of Premiere. The benefit of Premiere vs. Final Cut (besides the Mercury Playback) is its integration with After Effects and the rest of the Adobe Suite.

However, the Adobe Suite is completely lacking any sort of 3d modeling capabilities. As Dave said, there is no one program that does everything. But the Adobe Suite is pretty close for many things.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

justin dalisay
on May 20, 2010 at 8:27:56 am

thnk you for explaining some info there. I was just wondering because premiere is the counter part of final cut pro, and my friend can do alot of special effects in final cut, yet it isnt like premiere need after effects software to render the effects in the video.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 20, 2010 at 4:46:37 pm

[justin dalisay] "my friend can do alot of special effects in final cut, yet it isnt like premiere need after effects software to render the effects in the video."

Yeah, well, as a Final Cut Pro guy myself, I'm here to tell you that a FCP doesn't really do those gee-whiz things very WELL. It has a particularly tough time with scaling. Its Time Remapping controls are darned-near incomprehensible.

There's a reason why Apple includes Motion in Final Cut Suite, and it ain't to just keep FCP from getting lonely. Motion's an effects and compositing application. FCP's an EDITING application with mere delusions that it can do effects and compositing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Robert Lugg
on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:54:10 pm

Hello from the future. Thanks for the informative, intelligent discussion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]