ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD Presentation Video : Help!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt MartinHD Presentation Video : Help!!!
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:06:40 pm

Hi,

I am new to working with the HD format

Deliverable for this project will need to be displayed on an HD monitor. Client may be playing off a windows laptop, not sure if they have access to a blu-ray player, they could be encouraged to get one. I am hoping to find a codec and resolution that can be played directly from the pc, but I am open to suggestions if there is a better way to do it.

Essentially, I am looking for advice on compression, codecs and resolution, that will have the end product be as beautiful as it can be.

My current plan is to work in 720p. Then spit that out as uncompressed from AE and rerender in H.264 for playback on a laptop. Not sure if rendering it uncompressed is necessary, in the past it has been useful in eliminating artifacts but I haven't messed around with AE since CS2.

Things I DON'T have

- Time... project needs to be done in a couple weeks
- Final Cut.. I do have Premiere on this machine
- Blu-Ray burner.. but here are vendors that could do this for me

I am open to working in 1080p or 1080i, I am open to collaborating with a vendor to produce a blu-ray disc. As always client wants to keep the budget as low as possible.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success working with laptops and HD monitors and what codecs and resolutions worked best for them, and how their end product might compare to a full resolution HD playback from a blu-ray. I'm not a pixel snob, and my machine is a bit out of date (pentium3) so if 720 looks good enough, it will certainly help move the project out the door faster, save the client money, and make me look good.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD Presentation Video : Help!!!
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:42:54 pm

[Matt Martin] "My current plan is to work in 720p. Then spit that out as uncompressed from AE and rerender in H.264 for playback on a laptop."

Considering your situation, that's a darned good plan. You DO need to use third-party compression tools to go to h.264. AE can't do multipass encoding, which really improves the quality of h.264.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt MartinRe: HD Presentation Video : Help!!!
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 5:50:02 pm

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the feedback!

Would you have any recommendations for a solid multipass encoder? Preferably something that won't break the bank.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2009 at 5:58:25 pm

You may already have one of these three: Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor, Quicktime Pro. QT Pro costs $35 -- VERY reasonable, does a creditable job, use at highest quality settings for best results.

A pricey alternative: Sorenson Squeeze.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:59:27 pm

Ah yes, I do already have a copy of QT pro, although I didn't realize that it did multipass encoding. So much for paying attention when rendering.

I'm planning to work with continuously rasterized AI files and avoid bitmaps all-together (if possible), and will try to utilize motion blur and frame blending (if they insist on bitmaps). Any advice you can pass my way in regards to minimizing artifacts and aliasing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: HD Presentation Video : Help!!!
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 2:20:33 pm

Hi Matt,

I might be wrong about this but I think multi-pass encoding has only been available since the very latest release of QT Pro.

If you don't have it, this might be why you haven't noticed it.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:35:32 pm

[Matt Martin] "Any advice you can pass my way in regards to minimizing artifacts and aliasing would be greatly appreciated. "

As long as you don't scale up a bitmapped image beyond 100%, it shouldn't be a problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:03:01 am

Thanks for all the support guys. I'll post a vimeo link for anyone interested in seeing how it turns out when the gig wraps in early Feb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]