ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

image sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marilyn Jimenezimage sequence
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 5:12:19 pm

I imported a portion of a video into AE CS3 as an image sequence in order to clean up a piece of dirt on a hose that is being wound up for storage(for a training video that I did as volunteer service). I placed the image sequence into the timeline as as single composition and used the clone tool to clean up 309 frames! I did not use the sequence layers command when I dragged the image sequence into the timeline (which I found out I was supposed to do from an earlier posting), so all the layers are stacked up and only the very top layer exports. Needless to say, I do not want to lose all of the clean up work that I did and would like to export the sequence either as a image sequence or as a Quicktime movie. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: image sequence
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 5:35:33 pm

Fear not, you can import an image sequence as a single clip! You just need some book learnin'! Okay, internet learnin'.

A Warning -- when importing image sequences this way, AE gives them a default frame rate of 30fps. You need to change the frame rate. I presume you live in NTSC-Land, so it's 29.97fps.

Here's how to import the sequences:

Here's how to change the frame rate:

Remember this: even though it's an image sequence, it can still have a field order -- the two fields are simply recorded on the same still image. You would set up the proper field order in the Interpret Footage settings as well.

And if this is video from an HDV camera, you'll need to know this, too:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeSorry! Misread the original post!
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 6:57:39 pm

Okay, now that I actually took time to read, I have a better grasp of the dilemma. The good news: you'll be able to salvage your work! Here's how:
  • Save a copy of the project just because it's good,safe practice
  • Duplicate the comp in question just because it's good, safe practice
  • Go to the beginning of the comp, frame zero
  • Select all the layers
  • Use Option-Right Bracket keystroke combo (Mac) to trim all layers to one frame in duration
  • Use the Sequence Layers command

You now have a 309-frame-long comp with 309 layers in the proper sequence. Unless you used the Clone tool at something other than the first frame, you should be good to go. If you used the clone tool at various times in the comp, it could get dicey as you move the in and out points of the additional paint layer added to your original layer (twirl down any layer to see what I mean).

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marilyn JimenezRe: Sorry! Misread the original post!
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 1:20:50 am

Thank you very much. It worked!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved