ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects for post production and editing?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Reynolds
After effects for post production and editing?
on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:41:54 am

Hi all

I just wanted to know, I will be editing and post producing quite a bit of HD footage in only 8 days. Would After Effects suffice or would premier help a bit? its going to be a 2 day event edited into 15 minutes of footage (about) so im just preparing in advance what I will need.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: After effects for post production and editing?
on Dec 30, 2009 at 3:59:07 pm

AE would be the worst app to use

After Effects.. build vertical
NLE build horizontal

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Kyle Reynolds
on Dec 30, 2009 at 4:02:55 pm

well then what would you suggest? Would Premier suffice?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2009 at 6:07:51 pm

Sure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2009 at 4:24:50 pm

I'm in total agreement with Richard: DON'T use AE for editing. It's an effects, graphics and compositing application. Use an editing application for editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:21:31 pm

I'm in complete agreement with those who have posted before me. AE is not an editing program. At all.
Also, assuming you're shooting HDV, you couldn't use AE to edit, even if you wanted to.
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

So even if you were some kind of masochist and wanted to edit in AE, you would be even more screwed by the footage issues.

Yes, Premiere is great for the sort of thing you're looking to do. When I lived in England I was at a five day event and I had to edit 4 days of footage down to about 15 minutes and it had to be ready to show (WITH GRAPHICS) by the fifth day's morning session. I was the only crew. Camera, capture, edit, graphics, output...all me.
I used AE for the graphics only, I captured and edited in Premiere.

I made my deadline and everyone loved me. May the same happen for you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kyle Reynolds
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:45:12 pm

That's the kind of response I like to see. Ive been trying to find those tips by Dave for so long.

You have really saved me alot of trouble. In terms of Premier, how long would it take to learn it? Im not slow at learning programs, I learnt complex problems in 3ds max and encore in a couple of weeks.

Would you recommend doing tutorials?

Thanks for the really usefull response.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:36:06 pm

I don't know this for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet that Adobe has some basic Premiere training stuff on its web site. Besides, learning the basics of an editing application are pretty much all the same... and it sounds like you only have need for the basics right now.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]