ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making individual parts of my image explode

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Copes
Making individual parts of my image explode
on Dec 24, 2009 at 6:19:17 am

I've been trying to do this with Trapcode's form and can't seem to make it work, what i've done is take a screenshot of my video of the little area I want to explode, and then apply that to the colour and alpha are of the layer map, everything works as I'd like it to except the particles only stay within the composition, instead of blowing over my background composition.

So --

One composition contains the Form layer, along with the image layer.

The other composition contains my movie.

I move my composition with form + image into my movie, place it in the are so it perfectly overlaps the same frame of my movie where everything is in place, and then it explodes, however the particles only stay within that composition!!! Which is obviously an undesirable effect as I want it to blow over the entire screen!!!!

Hope I have made myself clear guys ^_^, let me know if I need to draw a diagram as I may not be explaining the situation well!!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Making individual parts of my image explode
on Dec 24, 2009 at 1:57:16 pm

Make the composition that contains Form and your image layer the same size as your main composition.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brad Copes
on Dec 24, 2009 at 6:52:07 pm

Yes, I've tried this, but I want only that specific part of it to explode, I've tried using photoshop so that the rest of the image with be transparent, however then form wont simply just use the coloured part of the image, it will still show particles for the transparent parts, and I don't want the whole image to explode mind you, just one little section of it.

Is there a way around this? Maybe if I were to make another layer solid and make it all black except for the tiny section which would be white and attach it to the alpha layer of my form layer.

Hmmm, will try this when I get home =]

Return to posts index

Brad Copes
on Dec 25, 2009 at 5:13:37 am

Hmmm, it defies all logic to me -- why does the blackground show up as transparent? It makes no sense to me!!!

Granted I clicked the transparency toggle, however even when I toggle it back to showing the black solid background it still shows as transparent in my movie's composition.

Can you explain or link me to the logistics behind this please? :( Sorry if it's obvious!

Btw just doing what you said worked, not complicated at all, which is why I don't understand!! If you can explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated :o

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 28, 2009 at 3:50:39 pm

How are you applying Form to your image to get it to explode? Form should be on its own separate layer. Use the layer maps function of form to colorize it like your layer and set the functionality to "RGBA to RGBA" and your alpha information will come through.
Now, there are much better ways to blow up a part of an image.
A quick community help search for disintegrate turns up quite a few hits including this tutorial.

What do you mean about the transparency? Are you still having issues with that? What logistics are you not understanding?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brad Copes
on Dec 28, 2009 at 8:11:11 pm

No, everything is working fine.

The part I don't understand is how in my form composition, I have the little section of the composition which is the image that I want to explode, and the rest is black ofcourse [ default background colour for any composition ], yet when I copy this composition over to my main composition which is my movie, the black part of my form composition which has the explosion is transparent and as a result fits perfectly into my movie.

I am just confused as to why it is showing up as transparent [ which is what I want ], instead of black.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:27:46 pm

There is no default background for a composition. It is empty. When you toggle that little button at the bottom of your comp window, you're merely changing how AE shows you the nothingness; black or checkerboard. Therefore when you drop a comp into another comp, any place where there is nothing, nothing will show.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Brad Copes
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:39:32 pm

Ok, that explains it.

Thank you for the help, sir.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]