ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change color of all text in a project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin RyanChange color of all text in a project
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:54:46 pm

I work on corporate videos that usually include lots of text. Is there a way to set up my project so I can make universal changes to font colors from one place? I usually have text in many comps within a project. What I do now is dig down into each comp and make changes to each instance of type. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin Ryan
Videographer/Editor
The Government Channel
City of Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Change color of all text in a project
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 10:16:14 pm

Create a composition and call it Color in it create a solid called Control. (the names don't really matter, but you'll need to reference them later in an expression).
On the new layer apply Effect>Expression Controls>Color Control.
Go to a comp with text, in the timeline flip down your text layer's twirly arrow. In the Switches/Modes column click the little arrow after the word "animate"> fill color>RGB then alt-click (on Mac I believe it's option-click) the stopwatch next to the Fill Color option that shows up. Delete the highlighted text that shows up in the timeline area and write:
comp("Color").layer("Control").effect("Color Control")("Color");
then press enter on your number pad. You should notice that the text color now matches the color of the color control effect you applied in the Color comp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2009 at 10:22:53 pm

Sorry, I sent that from my iPhone before I really finished it properly. Although I'm sure you can figure it out from there.
All you have to do is copy that expression you wrote out then click that animate>Fill Color>RGB thing on each text layer and right-click on the stopwatch and paste it in!
(Or duplicate the text layer and change the text - either way.)
Then, when you want to change the color of all the text, you just change the Color Control effect on the Control layer in the Color comp.

I hope that made sense. If not, let me know.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin RyanRe: Change color of all text in a project
by on Dec 25, 2009 at 4:01:51 am

Thanks,this works great.
I plan to be using aftereffects and photoshop for a long time. Do you think it would be worthwhile to learn javascript for understanding and making my own expressions.

Kevin Ryan
Videographer/Editor
The Government Channel
City of Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

by on Dec 25, 2009 at 5:43:55 am

Good question. It depends on the kind of work you're planning to do. AE is such a complex and multi-faceted program that you will not be able to be an expert at every part of it, so you should probably focus on things that you will use every day.

Now, that expression I gave you, I did not write myself. I did it with a pick whip, but explaining about undocking the panels to enable you to pick whip between compositions (without pictures because I was on my iPhone) seemed more complicated than typing it out the expression. Plus, I figured by causing you to type out the expression, you could understand how it worked better. (Just be aware that you can pick whip from one comp to another and it can be a lot faster.)

If you do want to start on learning expressions, I can suggest no place greater than the Dagobah of Expressions where Yoda lives. In this case Yoda is Dan Ebberts and you can find Dagobah here.
And don't forget that if you get stuck there is a special forum just for expressions here at the COW.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]