ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW??!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian YoungWhy Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW??!!
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:34:56 pm

I was given some footage that was shot in low light and has grain. The Remove Grain filter works beautifully, but my GOODNESS, it's slower than a snail. If this were for my personal use, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's for work, and people want things fast.

As-is, each clip (short and small) with RG filtefr applied takes about 1.5 HOURS to render!! If any little change is requested, I'll have to go through that process allll over again.

That cannot be right.

Info
AE CS4
Mac OSX 10.5.2
2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
4GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Memory

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW? Because it is.
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:17:27 pm

Yup, Remove Grain is slow. There's nothing wrong with your gear. That's just what it does.

[Lillian Young] "...it's for work, and people want things fast. "

They'll have to learn patience, I guess. I really don't have a better answer for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW? Because it is.
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:22:20 pm

I have an answer for that, but it's one that requires quite a few years working in a place..."You want it fast, learn to shoot it right then!"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW? Because it is.
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 3:59:06 pm

ROTFL!!!! I love it! I'm still a Freelancer, so they say "Jump," and I just ask, "How high?"

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW? Because it is.
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:52:34 pm

You're right, Dave. If it was shot properly, just like photos, the post process would not take as long. I just give a heads up that it'll take a while.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW??!!
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:20:15 pm

Simply the remove grain does a ton of calculations to clean up the footage and it's doing it on every pixel. And it takes a long time on most computers.

Couple of things you can do. One is investigate network rendering. You install the AE render engine to every computer you can, then setup a network render. Definetely going past the AE Basics stuff, have to open the help to do it.

Second, you said "if there are changes", assuming you are compositing, you should probably precomp all the footage with just the remove grain effect, then render out and with the choice "replace footage". If there are changes you won't be re-rendering the remove grain effect.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: Why Is the Remove Grain Effect So SLOW??!!
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:56:12 pm

"...you should probably precomp all the footage with just the remove grain effect, then render out and with the choice "replace footage". If there are changes you won't be re-rendering the remove grain effect."

You're right, John. In fact, I did that with one clip while testing it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]