ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adobe After Effects CS3 Dilating a Pupil

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew FredericksonAdobe After Effects CS3 Dilating a Pupil
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53:08 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm also very new to Adobe After Effects.

I have some recorded video of my eye looking at the video camera(my eye isn't perfectly still by the way) and I wanted to dilate my pupil. Could someone please help me out with very beginneresque instructions? I don't know my way around After Effects so maybe this is a simple task.

Thanks!
Andrew

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: Adobe After Effects CS3 Dilating a Pupil
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:04:05 am

Hey,
Welcome!

I'm not going to give you step-by-step tutelage but here's the basic idea that you can follow... read up on specific steps/techniques from other tutorials if you need, and use the adobe Help in AE, it's really great and should get you going. AE is a big program and you can't expect to achieve everything straight away.

Because your eye isn't totally still, you may need to stabilize the footage. Eyes are annoying because you blink, but you will want to track/stabilize based on your pupil, because that is the point which you want to target with the dilation.

To actually achieve the dilate effect, it will depend on what you've got in mind but you can probably just use some of the basic distort effects, something like Bulge would be perfect. You essentially want to scale up the pupil area of your eye to make it look dilated.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Adobe After Effects CS3 Dilating a Pupil
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:54:28 am

I agree. A good track of the pupil would be good. If you apply the track to a null object, you could tie the center of a bulge effect to the null and it would probably look pretty good.

I also agree that learning to crawl before you walk is a good idea. AE is a very powerful and complicated program, it takes a while before you'll feel comfortable in it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adobe After Effects CS3 Dilating a Pupil
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:04:52 pm

[Andrew Frederickson] "Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm also very new to Adobe After Effects. "

Hi!

Everything written in this thread so far is spot-on. Here's a good place to get started with AE:

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]