ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Please!!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos dessler
Please!!!!
on Dec 16, 2009 at 6:13:25 pm

hey everyone. I posted a question like a week ago. I have no answers so I´m trying again. I know this question has been asked before, for that, I apologize. I need an answer though. thanks in advance.

I am starting into the motion graphics business, I have been using FCP for 2 years now, but i want to make more professional looking videos, as I have a lot of demand for them right now. I have the chance to get either an iMac (4 gb RAM, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 500 gb HD, NVIDIA G FORCE), or a PC (HP, quad core 2.8 gb, 8GB ddr2 RAM, 500 GB HD, NVIDIA G FORCE).

The PC is half the price as the iMac. I could expand the iMac´s RAM to 8GB, although i might wait and see how it works. I really need the advice of professionals. I want to use AE and a lot of plug-ins that come with it. I dont think Ill be doing a lot of 3D stuff at first. Maybe animating logos or something, but not that much.

Thanks a lot!!

carlos dessler

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Please!!!!
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:36:02 pm

Go to the Adobe Web site, to the After Effects user forum. Search for information about Windows 7. Can AE work with it?

If the answer is "yes", get the PC, get Windows 7, a 64-bit OS, and get more RAM -- bring it up to 24, or even better, 32 GB. AE can use a LOT of RAM.

Do your AE work oriented towards quicktime. Go to the Apple Web site. Get QT 7.x and NOT QT X. QT X may only be available under Snow Leopard, but you still DO NOT want it: it's too consumer-oriented, and it has bad professional tools. Get QT Pro: $30.00 US. Get the ProRes Decoder (free).

Get MacDrive: it lets PCs see Mac-formatted discs. Very handy.

And whatever you do, DO NOT rely on a single internal hard drive. Put your system and application software on one drive, and your user files on another one. For backup, get an external hard drive or two.

For a person running a business on a shoestring, that's the cheapest solution I can come up with.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:48:24 pm

I agree with Dave. In your particularly specific circumstance the PC is the better choice; much more processing power.
I also agree that more RAM is better.
But since you're spending half the money on the PC, you might have enough money to get an 8 core machine with 32Gb of RAM instead. Just a suggestion. :)
And I also agree with Dave about having more than one hard drive.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

carlos dessler
on Dec 16, 2009 at 10:52:53 pm

nuh...I posted something like a week ago but apparently I posted wrong. anyway, thanks man, your advice is very helpful. cheers humble man.

carlos dessler

Return to posts index

carlos dessler
on Dec 16, 2009 at 10:46:58 pm

thanks Dave, very kind of you. I´ll let you know how things worked out

carlos dessler

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:56:07 pm

Also, I meant to point out in my last message, I'm not sure what you meant by your other post a week ago not getting any responses.
Your other post on the COW did get responses.
Responses in less than 24 hours too.
Both from professionals with full-time jobs in the industry.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 17, 2009 at 12:58:13 pm

what are the specs of your current machine....

if you are using fcp, and plan to keep using fcp, then that's a good reason to get another mac, or upgrade your current system. otherwise you could be looking at having to upgrade 2 different systems at a later point.

i can see the arguement to get a machine that is half the price now, but if you end up upgrading your fcp station in a year or two, now your fx workstation is going to be slower than your nle workstation, and you'll probably be looking at upgrading that pc too... assuming you get the same price ratio, you'll be spending 1.5 times the cost to upgrade.

also, if you already have software that you can use with ae on your fcp station (like photoshop, illustrator, etc) then your workflow can get kind of messy, jumping back and forth with psd or ai files. if you have it all on one platform, then your workflow can be simpler...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]