ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

making a background on an imported video file transparent

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin McMenemy
making a background on an imported video file transparent
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:37:03 am

hi there

im very new to after effects so this might be a very simple problem...which i hope it is :)

i have imported a video file of two of my flash characters having a fight, there is no background for the two, only a white background.

is there anyway i can make the white of this background transparent in after effects?

thanks

Martin

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: making a background on an imported video file transparent
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:28:37 am

Try the Luma Key effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: making a background on an imported video file transparent
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:52:56 pm

I don't have anything to do with Flash: my company has people for that. But I do have to ask if you created the files properly in Flash so they include transparency. I presume it can be done, and I would start there first because it will make life much, MUCH easier in AE.

If Flash can't create transparency, there are three ways to do it in AE, and none of them are fun:
  • Key the footage: this is iffy, because the subjects may have white in them too, which would also key out. You'd them have to animate masks to cover up the holes on a duplicated layer.
  • Animate masks around the subjects. This is known as rotoscoping, and it's painstaking and time-consuming.
  • Animate masks on a solid, and use it as a track matte for the white-background footage. It's pretty much the same thing as rotoscoping, but the animated masks are on a different layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]