ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Basic Training

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Bronte
Basic Training
on Dec 13, 2009 at 1:53:15 am

I have just installed After Effects 7. Can someone direct me to a training provider? I am looking to purchase a beginners, step by step course with project files I can work along with, that I could download. A training course like those provided by Ripple training would be perfect. The online tutorials provided by video co-pilot are great but I prefer to work through a project with the instructor.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Basic Training
on Dec 13, 2009 at 3:50:12 am

It would be hard to beat Total Training for thoroughness. And, since you're two versions back from the current one, you can probably find some AE 7 training on the cheap.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Patrick Bronte
on Dec 13, 2009 at 7:57:52 am

Where would I find that? The AE I've got came with CS4...

Thanks for the reply.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 13, 2009 at 8:51:44 pm

Wait, did you install 7 or CS4? I don't know where you'd go to get old versions, but you can get stuff for CS4 at Total Training's website.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Patrick Bronte
on Dec 17, 2009 at 3:32:26 am

Did you do the course? i am signed up to lynda.com but it sounds like TT is more in depth...

Learning AE feels very hard....how long did it take you to be able to use it confidently ?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:12:43 am

I watched Total Training's DVD's back on version 5.

I don't know when I could say that I could use it confidently. I think I just realized one day that I knew what I was doing. And I don't really know how long it took. It was probably over a year, but I wasn't using it every day at the time.

AE is a very powerful program. Considering what it can do, it is shockingly easy to use. The more powerful a program is, the harder it is to learn. The more "user-friendly" a program is, the less it can do. I love After Effects; it's an amazing program and the things you can do with a pretty regular desktop computer and this program is better than what people could do a few years ago with machines and software costing tens of thousands of dollars.

Even though I've used After Effects quite heavily for over five years (and at my current job I use it daily as my main tool), I still don't know everything about it. In fact, there are whole areas where I'm still a newb. (Expressions, for example; I can only write basic ones without help.)
So don't feel bad if you aren't an expert in a month or two of learning.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Patrick Bronte
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:05:33 am

Cheers Mate.

Where do you work?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:48:49 am

I work full-time in Tennessee/Kentucky doing motion graphics, some editing and other video bits and bobs for a company under a DoD contract.
I also do freelance stuff; mostly motion graphics and print graphics work, but some web design too.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
on Dec 19, 2009 at 2:46:42 pm

I've recently starting learning After Effects, so I was interested in this thread.

I've found After Effects Apprentice to be incredibly helpful. There's one version of the book for AE 7 and CS3, and another version for CS4. It comes with a DVD containing sample projects and the focus is on completing them, instead of explaining individual commands in isolation ad nauseum, which so many software guides seem to do.

Haven't checked out the options you two are mentioning--I'll have to look into those, too.

And you're not alone in being overwhelmed by the depth of After Effects. It's exciting to learn, but sometimes my brain just freezes and I have to take a break...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]