ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dividing Comp Window Into Multiple Comps For Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David AslesenDividing Comp Window Into Multiple Comps For Animation
by on Dec 12, 2009 at 6:02:24 pm

I'm looking for the most efficient way to spatially split a comp into pieces for individual animation. I'm thinking of individual comps defined by a a region of the parent, but am wondering what the easiest way is to do this. I want to change the parent comp and have these changes show in all the parts. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Dividing Comp Window Into Multiple Comps For Animation
by on Dec 12, 2009 at 6:23:31 pm

Sorry, I for one am not following your intent. I don't know if "spatially split a comp" refers to 3D space --where layers can be in ANY order in the timeline -- or 2D space, where the topmost layer in the timeline obscures the layers below it.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David AslesenRe: Dividing Comp Window Into Multiple Comps For Animation
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:35:10 am

Thanks for the interest. What I want to do is animate a simple 2D puzzle, like the real ones that have an image on squares that are out of order along with one empty square. One slides the squares until they all line up in their 'original' order to reveal the source (eg. picture). Now if I just wanted to do this with a single picture I would cut it up with photoshop, make a comp for each one, arrange the comps and animate them. However, I want to be able to do this with any source, such as changing pictures or video. So the 'parent' is the whole source and I want to animate sections of the parent. The question is, how does one define the content of many comps to be fixed parts of a single parent (with changing source material)? It's kind of like masks, but I want the masked areas to be their own comps that animate in the timeline. I figure I can start with the source as a whole, set up the moving squares manually and then reverse everything to get it to start all jumpled up and animate to the whole. I'd appreciate any help you provide.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved