ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I need a tutor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Burns
I need a tutor
on Dec 11, 2009 at 9:57:34 pm

Looking for a tutor for Adobe After Effects CS3. Can pay by Paypal. This will be a telephone session or session(s), so it neds to be someone within the USA. If you are interested in tutoring me, please email me with your rates, name, phone number and best time to call. I prefer evenings. I'm in Minnesota so it would be central standard time.

email: kb59@comcast.net

Thanks much!

Kevin Burns

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: I need a tutor
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:12:26 am

AE is a very deep program with a very wide range of capabilities and uses so it might help you find the right tutor(s) if you described your priorities ... for example, motion graphics, special effects, coloring, keying, rotoscoping, motion tracking, etc., etc., etc.

Forgive my over-answering if you're an experienced editor just looking to expand your skill set, but if you're trying to learn AE from scratch, my opinion is that the best way is to have someone walk you through the basics first, read the manual cover-to-cover, read a couple of the better training guides (i.e., the latest Meyers' book, Classroom In a Book, etc.), do some of the many free tutorials online, then have someone to fill in the gaps for all the things you didn't fully understand via the other methods. How much time can be spent at each stage varies for everyone, but the more time spent once on the front end (studying), the less time wasted repeatedly on the back end (working ... under deadline). Also know that, in order to get the most out of AE, you also need to know Photoshop, Illustrator and at least one NLE application (Avid, Final Cut, Premiere, Vegas, etc.). I hope my two cents is helpful.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 14, 2009 at 2:28:35 pm

I agree with David Johnson.

I would also like to add that the Total Training DVD's are well worth the money they cost. They come with tons of example projects and, like with David's suggestions, you can see what the instructor is doing.

I cannot imagine trying to teach AE over the phone. I Screensharing with something like Skype or iChat maybe; but not over the phone. I would charge more to teach it over the phone than I would to do it in person because of the added frustration of trying to talk through a visual program on the phone.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:22:50 pm

Michael makes some very good points ...

Total Training has been among the best AE training for many years now.

And, the point about learning AE over the phone is one reason I worded my opinions the way I did ... I think it depends a lot on the details of the situation (i.e., specifically what needs to be learned, experienced editor expanding skill set vs. beginner learning from scratch, etc.) ... explanations to fill in some gaps could work over the phone, but the more in-depth stuff for someone without much background could be very tough.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:09:55 pm

David Johnson and Dave Johnson? I'm surrounded!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mel Vee
on Dec 18, 2009 at 9:46:21 pm

I too would like to find someone who can coach me. I've watched a lengthy video series on Lynda.com, and am about a third of the way thre AE Apprentice, but still have trouble with simple things that I bet someone could walk me thru on the phone pretty quickly. For example, I still can't figure out how to correctly apply one of the more complex AE transitions between two clips. I get a black screen before the first keyframe even tho opacity is set to 100%. I use VegasPro8 but their transitions are not as cool as those in AE. Is there a service like this?

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:26:34 pm

Mel, Sorry I can't help without knowing the effect you're referring to and details of the unexpected results you get ... I'm sure you'll get a solution if you start a new thread with a more descriptive explanation of the issue since I would guess that most people rarely peruse old threads, as is the case for me... just happened across this.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:22:34 pm

Hey Michael, Sorry I never responded ... I usually uncheck the "email me when someone responds" so I only just saw this when looking for an old post I had made.

Yes, I have two COW accounts, but shhhh ... not sure that's allowed anymore, but I needed full access to the COW at work, but also needed to keep my long-standing freelance/personal COW account separate from my job for several reasons.

By the way, I read many of your posts since you're one of the few who frequently take time to offer in-depth answers and its helpful to hear others' approaches to things since one of my favorite things about AE is there's a zillion ways to do everything. You definitely bring a wealth of knowledge to the AE community and I'm sure the COW leaders appreciate the help from people like you. Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]