ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Audio Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Reedy
AE Audio Question
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:38:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am doing some key work for a friend, and I've been given Quicktime files that I'm pulling into AE to key them with. Everything is fine except that upon importing the .mov's, the audio is disappearing. When you look at the icon for the .mov in the program, it shows the audio waveform, however when I drop it into the composition I can't get any audio to play, I can't view the audio, and when I render it to a new .mov there is no audio available. Is there a setting I don't know of? I don't use AE often, so I really don't know much about the settings, I really only want it for the keying stuff. Please let me know if I'm doing something, or if it cannot be avoided for some reason so I'll have to sync it with the audio from the original .mov in another program. Thanks!

Austin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Audio Question
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:51:01 pm

I bet you got mpeg2 files with muxed audio. Not only should you NEVER use mpeg2 files in AE, but AE can't see the audio when it's embedded in the video. So you'll have to convert it.

If you don't have MPEG Streamclip (free!) already, get it. Then convert that file to something else. I like quicktime movies in either the Animation or PNG codecs: at best quality, they're lossless.

Oh, and don't forget the audio tracks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Dykstra
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:53:14 pm

If a layer or comp has audio, there is a little speaker icon in your timeline far to the left next to the eyeball icon for visible/invisible. If your footage is showing audio, but the render isn't, check your render settings. I believe AE defaults to not outputting audio. In your render queue check the "output module" settings. My bet is changing a setting there is your answer.

To play back audio in your comp, check your RAM preview settings, or use the period key on the numpad to playback just audio. AE can do some sweet stuff with audio, but I wouldn't use it to edit your audio with.

http://www.ghostrender.com

Return to posts index

Austin Reedy
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:59:09 pm

it looks like (i figured out from reading a few other audio posted topics) that i was simply using space bar instead of 0 on the key pad, so once I used 0 it renders with audio available, so i think that should work. However, I have not rendered it out yet, what should i watch out for in the render settings to ensure the audio sounds okay?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:01:01 am

Hey, if you've got your audio someplace else -- like in an edit timeline -- chances are you don't even NEED to render audio. I do it all the time. From Final Cut Pro, I export clips from an edit timeline without the sync sound, do my AE voodoo, render, and drop the file on the edit timeline. Syncs up every time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Austin Reedy
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:07:20 am

that's a great idea, and will probably save me some time too, I'll pull my clips into FCP, then send the video (no audio) to AE, key what i need to key, then render, then you say to just pull the newly rendered clips back in over the old video and it should be fine? sounds great to me, thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2009 at 4:12:37 pm

Now, just for insurance purposes, you might give yourself some wiggle room... say 10 frames extra at the head & tail of the shot. I've never had to resort to using that wiggle room when I do it, but hey: it's nice to know it's there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]