ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

depth of color / pedestal / luminance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Vargasdepth of color / pedestal / luminance
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:11:06 am

hi all ... this is my first post in this forum AE,

I have a question, what would the theory to integrate a 3D image into a real scene .. What is the theory?

I have a few years working with after effects but I have always had doubts about what could be the color corrector that has by default.

My theory is this .. should first match the luminance and the pedestal of the 2 shots, and then match the range to get the same light and color depth. But how tool exactly can talk luminance levels ? and the pedestal? for example I think maybe Hue / saturation may help if we played color by color(red,blue,green), but someone else can do better? some plugins? please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do not colorize the 2 shots. I want the 3d shot has the same depth of color / pedestal / luminance than the real shot.

I am interested in learning the theory and know what kind of tools / plugins could use in AE Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner BrownleeRe: depth of color / pedestal / luminance
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:10:09 pm

I would start with the Levels effect. Start with matching the contrast using the Input/Output black and white levels. If you work on each channel separately that will get you a great way towards colour matching the element into the scene.

I would not use Hue/Saturation for this task.

Hope that helps,

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
& Mocha training for AE & FCP

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: depth of color / pedestal / luminance
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:58:33 pm

Ben is right; levels is a great way to do it.

You can also try Synthetic Aperture's Color Finesse. (It's a plugin that comes with AE and may require a separate install.)

It has levels, hue/saturation, and tons of other color correction tools as well as software-based vectorscopes and a other analytic tools.

It's listed under Effect>Synthetic Aperture>SA Color Finesse 2 on AE CS4

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved