ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing 3D solids into AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin LeeImporting 3D solids into AE
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:06:44 pm

I have some 3D model files that have been designed using a cad program called Solidworks. Great program for its purpose, but I cannot find a way to get the solids into after effects for an advertisement animation the creator wants. Anyone know what format I need to export them to so that they will be recognized by AE?

I'd rather not have to use a program like Blender, 3DS or Maya, as the parts are very complex, and I don't know any of those programs well enough to recreate them.

Thoughts?

- Dustin Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing 3D solids into AE
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:53:16 pm

[Dustin Lee] "...I cannot find a way to get the solids into after effects for an advertisement animation the creator wants..."

AE is great for compositing the various layers done in a 3D application: a base pass, highlight pass, grunge pass, depth pass, etc. But they're not 3D models, they're 2D layers animated in the 3D application, and then AE puts the finishing touches on the look.

The only way I know to get a 3D model into AE is through Photoshop. I don't know how, because, frankly, AE is lousy at animating them. You can't even light them. You have to do EVERYTHING in Photoshop.

So if your goal is to animate a 3D model in AE, you probably won't be able to do what you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]