ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

what to buy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos dessler
what to buy
on Dec 6, 2009 at 8:18:28 pm

I am learning about motion graphics, and I want to buy a new computer where I can run AE. I dont do any super advanced stuff on AE, I just want to do some cool effects here and there (like trapcode particular for example). I dont live in the US, so what you might consider cheap, I might not. I am thinking about getting a Macbook, or a Macbook pro, 13¨(cause I want to get a monitor), 2.2 GHZ Intel core 2 duo and expanding the RAM in it (from 2 to 4, as I have read that RAM is very important in AE). I dont want to do the most advanced motion graphics, but I still want to do cool stuff. I do care about speed, but I dont mind waiting a couple of extra seconds if I have to (a couple, not 20). Can anyone please tell me if a mackbook with extended RAM will be able to run AE in a decent manner and allow me to do the cool stuff shown in creative cow tutorials or other tutorials on the web? (I do want to use cool plug ins, like particular and other). thanks guys for answering my question.

carlos dessler

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: what to buy
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:35:43 pm

[carlos dessler] "...I am thinking about getting a Macbook, or a Macbook pro, 13¨(cause I want to get a monitor), 2.2 GHZ Intel core 2 duo and expanding the RAM in it (from 2 to 4, as I have read that RAM is very important in AE)...."

It's more important than you think. When you enable multiprocessing, AE won't even do it efficiently until you get up to at least 2GB per core, and it can use up to 4GB per core.

You'll want a lot of RAM. Don't forget about leaving enough RAM for the operating system and any other applications you want to have open at the same time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: what to buy
on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:18:49 pm

For AE work you might consider one of the new iMacs. Some of them have very nice processors that rival the ones in the Mac Pro desktops and they do include a monitor. If 20 seconds extra matters to you then get as good of a processor as you can afford and make sure to have at least 2 Gigs of RAM for every core in the processor.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]