ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lightsaber mask not revealing properly.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Voltaire
Lightsaber mask not revealing properly.
on Dec 5, 2009 at 7:15:56 pm

Thank you for reading this. I am trying to make my first Lightsaber effect video, and I'm almost there, but there's an invisible square that hides the sword-mask on the top and left hand side. Another thing I noticed is when I click on the sword with the selection tool, the bounding box doesn't cover the sword that I created with the pen tool. Is there really an invisible square somewhere in the composition that I need to delete, or is there a way to expand the mask-bounding-box in order to cover the entire length of the sword? Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Lightsaber mask not revealing properly.
on Dec 6, 2009 at 2:53:03 pm

Not really following your problem, can you post a few screen grabs of it. The comp window and the timeline

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Adrian Voltaire
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:07:11 am

There are two compositions in my project. The mask for the lightsaber, and the footage with the masked layers in "screen" mode. Here are some pics of the problem i'm experiencing. let me know if you need to see more detail of the masks applied to the layers. I'm very new to After Effects, sorry if my terminology is off. Also, I'm new to this forum, sorry if the pictures don't show up, I will check back in a while to see if they did in fact upload. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Adrian Voltaire
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:12:57 am

Oops. here they are.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:00:15 pm

It looks like you have your mask/glow on a solid, right? That solid isn't the same size as your composition and more importantly the size that you need to cover your light saber.

Create new solid and push the "make comp size" button. Then you will have to redo your work.

You could try selecting the solid and pushing "cntl-alt-f" this will resize the solid to the comp size, but it will stretch it out and move everything around.

There is also a "grow bounds" effect. I rarely use that, but you might be able to place it above your glows increase the size by 60 pixels and that might do the trick.

Good luck,

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:09:38 pm

You're right John, it looks like his lightsaber solid is not the same size as his comp.

Adrian, you could also try to change the size of the solid itself. Select the solid and hit ctrl+shift+Y (or Layer>Solid Settings) and click the Make Comp Size button. That will make the solid actually the size of the comp, but (as with the other option) will make the mask size be bigger.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adrian Voltaire
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:20:45 am

Thanks guys. I used ctrl+shift+Y and pressed the "MakeCompSize" button. And unfortunately, its looking like I will have to go back and shift the mask each frame now that my solid white layer is the correct comp size. Oh well, back to the drawing board. It's amazing how important the "MakeCompSize" button really is. And its hard to imagine there not being an option to specify that you want the solid white layer to bound to the yellow border you create with the pen tool. Thank you so much for replying, I hope I can help you guys out in the near future. Cheers!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:46:23 pm

There is one other think you could try, but it will require a bit of work too.

Make a duplicate of each layer. Now select the pan behind tool(next to the mask shape tool). Now you can move the layer behind the mask with moving the mask. So take original and move it to cover say the top half of your video, copy 1 can cover the bottom half of the video. Will probably require some time so they don't over lap, though with screen mode selected that probably wont be that big of a deal.

Sorry I didn't think of this before.

Best,

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Adrian Voltaire
on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:15:06 pm

Awesome idea John! I'll see if this works and I'll let you know as soon as I'm finished. Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bonano
on Dec 15, 2009 at 5:52:26 pm

I know it's a little late, but this seems like a lot of work just for a light saber effect.

Why not use Andrew Kramer's presets for a light saber instead? It's free, easy to manage, and can be set up in a matter of seconds.

Here's the link:

http://www.videocopilot.net/presets/light_sabers_v2/

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]