ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to get "that look"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Gammel
Trying to get "that look"
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:52:39 am

So, while I'm editing, my video looks pretty good in the viewer, I'm satisfied with it. When I send it to compressor and burn to DVD and view it on a TV it looks glassy and very shiny and harsh. What gives? What's a possible solution?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Trying to get "that look"
on Dec 4, 2009 at 4:24:50 pm

I can see why Dave LaRonde was wondering about the full moon...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Jason Gammel
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:17:26 pm

I must be out of the loop on this one. Thanks anyway.

Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:39:07 pm

[Jason Gammel] "I must be out of the loop on this one."

I'll explain. Recently, we've gotten a rash of impossible-to-answer questions. You'd have to be clairvoyant to come up with a decent response. Let's take yours, for example. You explain your predicament and you want to know what's wrong, but you neglect to offer any details that would actually help in a diagnostic process:
  • The type of footage you're shooting
  • The type of edit software you use
  • The operating system you run
  • The type of computer you have
  • Your workflow
  • How you view the footage as you edit
  • Your DVD authoring application
  • The settings in your DVD authoring application

You know, just little tiny minor details. And then to top it off, you post your lament in a forum designed to share information about an effects and compositing application, which has nothing on Earth to do with shooting video, editing video or authoring DVDs!

And you're wondering why we can't answer you? You're wondering why we're making jokes? Get a grip, pal. If this is your idea of thoroughness, I'd hate to read any term papers you have to do for your classes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Gammel
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:33:11 pm

Mr. LaRonde,

I am very new to video editing. While I respect your video editing knowledge and experience I feel certain there was a time when you had a very limited knowledge yourself. I can see where you might find it aggravating to waste your time by clicking on a thread title only to find a "newbie question". You could cease the further wasting of your time by simply clicking on your browser's back button. In this particular case I would have preferred that you had. I would also ask that you please not respond to any of my future posts.

Respectfully,
Jason Gammel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:02:30 pm

Well, then you should stop shooting on those Hi-8 cameras, dude! Join the 21st century, y'know?

And Media 100 went out a long time ago in terms of editing applications, too....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:11:25 pm

As Dave pointed out, you have given us very little information on which to guess what your problem might be.

I'm guessing that you're looking at your computer screen and seeing delightful video (that you may have color-corrected until it looked great) and when you view it on a regular old TV it looks like crap. That's because computer screens and TVs are very different when it comes to how they represent light and color. A white that's RGB values are 255 255 255 (pure white in AE) is beyond the acceptable color limit for broadcast television. (Also a black that's 0 0 0 is too black for broadcast TV.)

My suggestion; color correct on a broadcast monitor.

Or, if you don't have the thousands of dollars that it takes to get such equipment, at the very least put an adjustment layer on top of everything that brings it back into legal broadcast color range. (A levels effect with the output black set to 16 and the output white set to 235 will help.)

There is a ton you could (and should) learn about color space and broadcast legal color issues. Google for them.

Of course, this is just a guess and might have nothing to do with your particular issue.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jason Gammel
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:41:13 pm

Michael,

Sorry about the lack of needed information to evaluate my issue. I'm pretty new at video editing in general and simply don't know the proper terminology or ever the right questions to ask, therefore, the questions I do ask are obviously elementary and lacking.

Your guess however was right on the money. And I thank you VERY much for your input. It's proven (and continues to be) very valuable. I had no idea about color values and I'm digging up all sorts of information. You've given me a very good starting point which is exactly what I needed.

Thank you so much!

Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]