ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best way for a newbie to animate this? (pic insde)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen LyonBest way for a newbie to animate this? (pic insde)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:22:22 am

I have just watched a few hours of a beginners tutorial in one sitting, so if I have missed the obvious answer it's because my brain is melting, sorry.

Anyway, I'm completely new to AE I need to animate the image below so the ribbon wraps itself around the text in the matter of a few seconds.

If it's possible for a beginner to make the thing wrap around as if it's actually a loose bit of ribbon swirling around the text that would be ideal (this has to impress someone important).

If not, then some other cheap trick will do, I was thinking of masking out the ribbon and tweening the mask around to make it draw itself, with a floating glow+particles to hide the nasty edge of the mask. But if there is a more After Effects way of making something draw itself that would be spiffing. Ideally though I would like to do the ribbon wrapping thing.

Normally I would just keep watching tuts and get better, but this is one of those annoying circumstances where I have to get this done fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Richard HarringtonRe: Best way for a newbie to animate this? (pic insde)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:15:46 am

Look at 3D Stroke from Trapcode

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Best way for a newbie to animate this? (pic insde)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:07:20 pm

If you want this to actually look like a floating, flowing ribbon, you're going to want to use an actual 3d program. There's a tutorial here on the COW for making a 3d ribbon. AE is great for compositing 3d items into shots and often is used for compositing different passes of 3d scenes together to achieve a final look...but it's not ideal for actually creating anything truly 3d.
However, there are tools such as Zaxwerks 3d Serpentine and the previously mentioned Trapcode 3d Stroke that can do things that look like true 3d.
If you want to go with your idea of using a mask, perhaps this COW tutorial from back in the day for how to grow design elements may help you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Stephen LyonRe: Best way for a newbie to animate this? (pic insde)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:22:25 pm

Thank you both. I just tried the 3D stroke trial and while I haven't come to term with what it can potentially be used for I have used it in it's most basic form to achieve what I described in the OP (the mask) which made it quite easy, and with surprisingly good results, it's not half as cheap looking as I expected, probably because the animation is quite fast.

However, when I export I get this horrible X over the swirl:

I assume this is because I am using a trial, but just maybe this is something I am doing wrong? If so, that growing tutorial looks great, thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim WoodRe: Best way for a newbie to animate this? (pic insde)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:42:53 pm

When you pay for 3D Stroke and enter the license key, the 'X' will disappear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved