ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects : How to control the transparency of pre-composed layers ? Screen alternative ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shuaib Jewon
After Effects : How to control the transparency of pre-composed layers ? Screen alternative ?
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:50:53 pm

Hi , I'm pretty new to AE and I have 2 questions :-

1st question :

I have several pre-composed layers . Now I was wondering if there was a plugin or an in-built function that allows you to control the transparency of an object.

2nd question :

When I use " screen " on my 3d layer , the latter becomes so transparent that you can hardly see anything ! So , I was wondering if there was an alternative to screen .

Note : I have already tried using overlay .
: It doesn't matter if I have to buy expensive plugins.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Walk Before You Run
on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:50:46 pm

[Shuaib Jewon] "I'm pretty new to AE... I was wondering if there was a plugin or an in-built function that allows you to control the transparency of an object... I was wondering if there was an alternative to screen... It doesn't matter if I have to buy expensive plugins."

Your post reveals that you have much to learn about After Effects, and I mean A LOT. This is NOT the kind of application where you can achieve a given effect in a few easy steps. There is simply too much to learn.

I recommend looking at the AE Basics (or AE 101, I forget the actual name) section on Andrew Kramer's videocopilot.net web site.

For a thorough After Effects education, I recommend Total Training's After Effects DVDs. There are also very good AE tutorials right here on the COW, too.

And as a reference work, you can't beat AE's own online help.

PS: look at the Opacity Property.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shuaib Jewon
Re: Walk Before You Run
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:34:54 am

Thanks a lot ............. I guess you're right ............ I'll look into these tutorials

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:35:58 pm

Awwww, c'mon Dave! I was about to create and then offer some VERY expensive plugins! I was even going to include the very special feature of just having to push the T on the keyboard to get to the opaciTy option.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:00:28 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "...I was even going to include the very special feature of just having to push the T on the keyboard to get to the opaciTy option...."

Oooohhh, what a GREAT idea! And while I have the ear of the man creating the plugins, perhaps you could also get them to show position just by hitting the p key or something!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:09:51 am

Why, of course! That'll only be...
Sorry; doing a few calculations here...

100 Pounds of Gold, but totally worth it, no?
Also, you get 1 free ninja assassination of an annoying fellow student who learned After Effects and is doing better than you in class.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]