ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ram preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dewan edwardsram preview
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 12:52:59 am

Hi, I am trying to do a ram preview. I set my start point and end point were I want it. I hit ram preview, it starts but then stops after a few frames and just plays those frames. It does not preview from beginning to end. I did a mermory cache clean as advised in the help. But it didn't fix anything. I am assuming it is my sys.

I am on a older system(i hope to have mac pro soon,hit a bump in the road): ati radeon 1650 pro, pet4,2 gigs ram. I am not looking to invest in updating this sys as it well be replaced.

If this is the problem any ideas to optimize workflow in AE. If this is not the problem any ideas what it maybe.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: ram preview
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 2:42:50 am

I think that you're misunderstanding how RAM preview works. It only plays as many frames as can fit in the RAM cache. If you want to preview an entire movie at full quality, then you will need to render and export a movie. RAM preview is not designed for previewing entire movies at full quality.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

dewan edwardsRe: ram preview
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 6:33:43 am

Hi Todd, I may have explained this wrong. I have a 30 sec title sequence. i am trying to view 3 sec of that located at 10-13 sec mark. I have a effect that I would like to see performed all the way through. I have set the start(b) and end (n) at those time position. When i do a ram preview it starts but doesn't complete, it just starts to play the first few frames that rendered. Lets say the first five frames of the effect.

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: ram preview
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 1:58:07 am

It sounds to me like you are doing it correctly, but that your system can only handle a few frames. If you lower the preview resolution to Quarter, does it get further before it plays back?

With a heavy project, such as HD with lots of layers and effects, it can often be very sluggish. 5 frames REALLY isn't many, but perhaps that is just all it can handle ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ram preview
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:03:14 pm

[dewan edwards] "I am on a older system...: ati radeon 1650 pro, pet4,2 gigs ram."

Well, that's just about as clear as mud. I guess you mean you have 2 GB RAM. Nowadays, that's nothing. If you're trying to do RAM previews of HD footage at 100% size and full resolution, I'm not surprised that you're only getting a few frames.

Of course, there could be other causes, too.

First, turn off Multiprocessing RIGHT NOW if it's on. You don't have enough RAM to take advantage of multiprocessing.

Second, Open GL may be giving you fits, so turn that off, too.

Third, the footage you're using may be doing AE no favors. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved