ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

No picture on export/render of movie file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam WheatleyNo picture on export/render of movie file
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:01:48 pm

Hi

I'm having a problem exporting a video from After Effects; I have tried many different codecs and different methods from the menu screen (Make Movie, Export, Send to Render Queue) but they all have the same problem:

The exported video is completely black. The video is of DV footage that has been edited and exported from Premiere Pro and then rotoscoped (in this case, having colours painted over different parts of the image).

Then no matter what I tick/select it exports nothing but black video. I have even attempted to precomp the video with the paint on it and that creates the same problem - nothing is in the precomp, only the transparent grid.

Is there something glaringly obvious what I'm doing wrong?

As an added note, I have attempted to export a project to be sent back to premiere, but when I open it in Premiere it tells me that a plug in effect is missing (the paint effect used to paint the colours on in After Effects).

Cheers for any help

S

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No picture on export/render of movie file
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:55:09 pm

[Sam Wheatley] "...I have attempted to export a project to be sent back to premiere, but when I open it in Premiere it tells me that a plug in effect is missing (the paint effect used to paint the colours on in After Effects)..."

Well don't keep us in suspense, what's the missing plugin? If it is indeed a third-party plugin, you may have installed it incorrectly. If it's an effect included with AE, it could point to a different problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam WheatleyRe: No picture on export/render of movie file
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:42:39 pm

The error messages reads as:

Video Filter missing: AE.ADBE Paint.

I (rightly or wrongly) assume that the plug in must be installed else I wouldn't have been able to paint on After Effects. But with that said, I'm relatively new to After Effects.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No picture on export/render of movie file
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:46:12 pm

Okay, next step: check the basics.
  • Check if you have enabled Open GL for rendering. If yes, turn it off. It's useless. Do it now.
  • Check your footage. Is it HDV, by any chance? Is it an MPEG or something? How about mp4? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:58:35 pm

Open GL isn't on, and the footage is standard definition DV that was imported in Premiere with the DV PAL 48kHz preset. It's currently in .avi format which I'm led to believe is more a "container" than a format, but I can't seem to find more information in the video clip properties.

(thanks for all the help so far).

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2009 at 12:56:17 pm

After a lot of playing around I finally cracked the issue. What had happened that the video had been sent from Premiere to After Effects by the student that was working on the footage, he then proceeded to paint on top of the sent sequence.

Now, I don't fully understand how I would paint on top of this and leave this unticked in the future, but by setting "show guide layers" to "current settings" the video exported fine.

So this has been fine for getting this video exported; but in the future when I don't want guide layers (or should anyone reading this not want guide layers) then I don't know the answer - with that said, if this task had been done correctly (a better understanding of After Effects needed) then that might not be an issue.

Thanks to anyone that looked in with the aim of helping, and thanks to Dave for having a crack at it too.

Cheers

Sam

Return to posts index

Alexander KolomietzRe: No picture on export/render of movie file
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:12:30 pm

I can confirm that the resolution described in the prev post works! I had the same problem and after switching "show guide layers" to "current settings" I finally was able to render my composition. Thank you for the tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]