ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

23.976 to 29.97 for PC and Brodcast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hackett23.976 to 29.97 for PC and Brodcast
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:10:03 pm

Ok, I have a n00b question and despite looking around I haven't found something that works for both of my intended mediums.

I am generating a DVD using DVD Studio Pro from clips converted by After Effects. The original clips are 23.976 HD film footage destined for DVD playback.

However, I have a problem where my choices seem to be:

a. Plays back great on a regular DVD player and has horrible interlacing on a PC

b. Looks ok on a PC or regular player but playback is stuttered from the extra frames.

Commercial DVDs seem to get away on either playback method. I am not sure what I'm missing. A search only gives me the problems I currently have since most everyone is headed towards one medium, but I need both on the same disc. Tastes great and less filling.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 23.976 to 29.97 for PC and Brodcast
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:32:53 pm

Why don't you just use DVDSP to make a 24P DVD? As long as you removed the pulldown properly -- or if you have 24pn footage, there IS no pulldown to remove -- you shouldn't have any problems. You just export your 23.976 (aka 23.98) FCP timeline to Compressor, using the export method of your choice, to make the m2v and ac3 files for use in DVDSP.

To get back to normal 29.97 playback for TV, just about every DVD player on the planet has the ability to add the 3:2 pulldown to a 24p DVD with no difficulty.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David HackettRe: 23.976 to 29.97 for PC and Brodcast
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:54:11 pm

I'll give that a shot. I have the problem that the interlaced version plays fine on some PCs but not others. And in the interest of "fool proofing them" I need them to play perfectly regardless of what machine they're stuck into. (Studio execs directives "just make it work") Fair enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved