ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects basics video import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec WestAfter Effects basics video import
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:01:21 pm

Hi,

Newbie here. Just joined. I have video files in the DVCPRO HD codec, 720p60 (960 x 720). I'm guessing when i import the video to after effects, my comp settings should be the DVCPRO HD 720 29.97. However they only offer a highest frame rate of 29.97 and no 60 frame rate. Do i just customly add the frame rate in to 60 or keep it at a lower frame rate than the source? I see in premiere pro, they have the option of 60 frame rates...

Also i just want to make sure i have the entire procedure correct. First i should import the video to after effects, and key out the background, add text effects, etc... then export it (and i'm not which settings, but i presume same as the source). Once it is exported, i import the footage to premiere pro where i add in the sound, and edit the footage to the appropriate length and cut out scenes, etc... Then i export it to its final format from premiere pro and i'm done. OR would i be better off to take the footage (about 4 hours worth), edit it down in premiere pro so i have all the cuts exactly how i want it, export it to after effects, then bring it back to premiere pro to add back the sound. As after effects doesnt work with sound.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects basics video import
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:02:34 pm

Drag your footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window. The result: a comp that has the settings of your footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects basics video import
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:11:51 pm

Whoops! I missed half your post!

You should only do as much work in AE as is necessary. Otherwise, you wind up with gobs of work, rendering and footage you ultimately won't use. It's best to get everything pretty much ready the way you want it BEFORE you go into AE. You want four shots on the screen at once? Put 'em in your editing application's timeline trimmed up the way you want 'em on separate layers. Everything's in place.

And you're right: if you have DVCPro HD footage, you render in DVCPro HD. Use the Render Queue, don't Export.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kate CaplisRe: After Effects basics video import
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:08:07 pm

This is where the Adobe Premiere/After Effects workflow is best. Think of the piece in layers. The video footage is edited in Premiere without effects or limited effects that can be done on the edit timeline. Consider that as "layer one".

Now, import the Premiere project into After Effects - you don't have to render anything yet. Now "nest" the Premiere project sequence into a new comp and start working. Need to change a shot? Go back to Premiere and edit away, re-import and adjust the AE comp. When ready just add your AE comp to the Render Que and render away.

Only need effects on sections of the video you edited in Premiere? No problem. Import the project, find the in points and out points of the edit that need AE work and create the nested comps for those sections

Since Premiere allows for projects to be imported without rendering you save a bit of time and changes are easier.

Good Luck!

Kate Caplis
Final Cut Editor & Motion Designer
WhiteHorse BlackCat Studios
http://www.ladiesgeekjournal.com

Return to posts index

Alec WestRe: After Effects basics video import
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:26:10 pm

Ok great that helps. So then the proper way is to edit the footage in premiere pro first and get it cut just the way I want it, then export it to after effects. And then bring it back to premiere pro for sound and final video rendering (exporting).

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Alec WestRe: After Effects basics video import
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:58:56 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the help. That is a good shortcut to determining the project comp settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]