ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you create this effect and what is it called?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Schultz
How do you create this effect and what is it called?
on Nov 16, 2009 at 1:28:05 am

I am looking to do an effect that does the following; on a fairly wide shot I want to take the audience eye right to a character in the background without zooming into the person. Usually this is done by making the rest of the frame semi-opaque and using a circular or elliptical shape to highlight the person in the background. I also need to track that person across the frame.

What is this effect called, which program does it the best, and most importantly how do you do it?

I have After Effects CS4, FCP7 to do this with.

Bruce Schultz
F900R/EX-1
LA-based IATSE 600

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: How do you create this effect and what is it called?
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:32:30 am

The common term is 'vignette'. After Effects is a fine tool for the job. There are many ways to go about it. There's an article on Artbeats that describes a few ways.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Bruce Schultz
Re: How do you create this effect and what is it called?
on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:32:58 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out then.

Bruce Schultz
F900R/EX-1
LA-based IATSE 600

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]